Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Did I screw up my gun? >

Did I screw up my gun?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Did I screw up my gun?

Old 08-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Spike

Default Did I screw up my gun?

Hello...new to BP...hope I did not screw up my flintlock. I started cleaning it about 10 days ago, poured some water down the barrel, then tried to put a dry patch down. I didn't have the right jags and put the gun down (with lock off). Just took it up again tonight with the proper jags. My patches are coming out covered in brown, I assume it must be rust. Do you think I damaged the barrel? I ran more water down tonight, then dry patches then rem oil patches until they were almost clean. Anything else I should do?

Also, the first time I cleaned (10 days ago) I thought I got a patch stuck in the barrel. If its in there, it did not come out tonight. Is it dangerous to fire if theres an extra patch somewhere in there?

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Joelb53
Hello...new to BP...hope I did not screw up my flintlock. I started cleaning it about 10 days ago, poured some water down the barrel, then tried to put a dry patch down. I didn't have the right jags and put the gun down (with lock off). Just took it up again tonight with the proper jags. My patches are coming out covered in brown, I assume it must be rust. Do you think I damaged the barrel? I ran more water down tonight, then dry patches then rem oil patches until they were almost clean. Anything else I should do?

Also, the first time I cleaned (10 days ago) I thought I got a patch stuck in the barrel. If its in there, it did not come out tonight. Is it dangerous to fire if theres an extra patch somewhere in there?

Thanks.
You need to get a patch worm. Its a specialty jag that attaches to the end of the ramrod. You push it down to the bottom of the bore and then turn the ramrod clockwise. It will snag any patches down there and let you bring it back up. Also if you have an air compressor, try putting a force air jet spray attachment up to the touch hole and blast anything stuck down there out.

As for did you damage the barrel by leaving water in it... its important to make sure you clean out all that "brown" before it gets a good hold in the rifle. If you have some JB Bore Paste I would suggest giving the barrel a treatment.

If not, use gun solvent. The right fitting jag. And tight patch solvent patches through it until you can run a dry patch in there and get it clean looking. Then go shoot it some. And make sure you clean it well again.

What you did will most likely NOT effect the accuracy of the rifle But once you get it clean.. put a good coating of gun oil on a patch and swab that into the bore.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

clean it out with warm soapy water then dry it out with a few dry patches then follow with some tc bore butter while the barrel is still warm.send that back and forth about 10-20 times if patsh is dirty do again with a clean one. you can send a bore light down the barrel to see if the barrel is pitted or not if it has light pitting shoot it then clean again then check again. good luck
Old 08-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Jolelb53 I would do what Cayugad said to do, He won't steer you wrong.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can get the entire kit at Walmart which includes jag, bullet puller, patch worm, brass brush and mop for about $8. First off, Cayugad is correct. Second, if you have a patch down in the breech your rifle will likely not fire. But I don't think you did any harm to your rifle. What you are seeing is probably just flash rust and should wipe right out of your bore.
Here is what I suggest if you don't have a patch worm right now. Take the largest diameter rifle brush you have (or even better a .410 brush) and put it on the end of your rifle cleaning rod as the thread is prob different than your ML rod. Twist it clockwise so as not to unscrew it and see if it will catch the patch and pull it out. Then swab your bore with hot soapy water then rinse with hot clear water. Dry the bore with dry patches (you will likely see the first patch or two come out looking rusty but this is just more flash rust and is only on the surface and wipes right off) followed by an alcohol patch then dry patch. The a light coating of a quality gun oil and you should be good.
I use this process and never had any problems. For a gun oil, after the alcohol patch I like to use Montana Xtreme Cowboy Blend which always seems to remove just a bit more residue in the bore and then coat the bore with Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

I don't use bore butter I have had guns rust using it. Good gun oil is best
Old 08-21-2014, 06:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Johnmorris
I don't use bore butter I have had guns rust using it. Good gun oil is best
Yep!

Old 08-21-2014, 06:33 AM
Dominant Buck

While some people find a number of uses for bore butter, I find it makes a good thing to throw at a trash can. Other then an occasional conical bullet I might lube for old time sake, I have no use for bore butter. I have a full tube of it around the house. Never used but I still have one.

And I don't care if T/C who sells the stuff, recommends it. I wax my cars not my rifle bores. After you get it clean, use a quality gun oil. Swab the bore with the gun oil. Before you shoot next time, simply take a patch with some alcohol on it and swab the bore. That will remove the oil from the bore. Then a few dry ones.

I also like to push a clean patch down to the breech and pop two caps into it. This blows clean the bolster and also shows you whether or not you have a clear fire channel. If the fire channel is clear, the patch will show burn marks. Your then ready to load.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

No need for a patch to see if it's clear. Just point the muzzle at the ground. It will show a puff on the dirt or grass if it's clear.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
No need for a patch to see if it's clear. Just point the muzzle at the ground. It will show a puff on the dirt or grass if it's clear.
But then you put residue in the bore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.