Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Had better days.... >

Had better days....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Had better days....

Old 08-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Had better days....

Although a lot of humidity today, there was very little wind and I sent a few 200 yard rounds. I've been bound and determined to get the Scorpion PT Gold 300's to group. I've now shot every sabot recommended by Harvester and they just won't group. Not even close to my acceptable. I even slowed them down by just using 120grs and they just wouldn't come together close enough to accept. I'm done shooting them in the new rifle, but maybe they'd shoot out of "Bad Medicine"? I must have 65 or so left that might sweeten the deal for a prospective buyer as an addition.........

I couldn't quit without sending a group of the recommended bullets and make sure the scope was within reason. I called the low left before the smoke cleared, my last shot.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

And that's 200 yards? If so, there are a lot of centerfire rifles that won't shoot that well. Nice
Old 08-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Dominant Buck

That is some exceptional shooting. I shoot the PT Golds but have never tried them at that kind of distance. But like Bronko said... even a center fire would be considered a good shooter with a group like that. I have a good friend who I kid a great deal... with a scoped 30-06 he could not shoot a group that good. His would look like a shotgun pattern.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

That target was shot with the 300gr SST bullets in the H5045LB sabots. I'd be ashamed to show the Scorpion PT targets. For some reason, this rifle just won't shoot them and Lord knows I've tried. Harvester sent me the last of their recommendations, the reds, which I shot today.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
That target was shot with the 300gr SST bullets in the H5045LB sabots. I'd be ashamed to show the Scorpion PT targets. For some reason, this rifle just won't shoot them and Lord knows I've tried. Harvester sent me the last of their recommendations, the reds, which I shot today.
Just out of curiosity, have you shot them with a normal load of powder? I assume you can load down to a normal ML powder load?

I would really be curious what you might get with, I was going to say 100/110 grains of BH, but now remember you are shooting T7 can you load 110-120 grains of T7 or do you have to load Pellets?

OOP's never mind I see you did come down to a 120.. so that is off the table..
Old 08-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dropping down from 180grs to 120grs didn't do a thing for groups. I'm wondering just how or why, that .452 bullet shoots so much better than any of the .451's I've tried, regardless of sabot? I may get close to the groups with BE's and the short black that Bob provides, yet nothing has grouped as well as that .452 bullet. Maybe I better leave well enough alone.......
Old 08-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well i have tried the PT Golds in TC rifles, Knight rifles, and CVA rifles without what i would consider success. They just haven't been as accurate as it seemed they should/could be.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

My experience with the harvester PT gold 300 grain exactly, I have Tried MMP sabots and all of the harvester sabots with no good huntable results. Except for the harvester red smokeless sabot, it got 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yards, but I could not load it again without cleaning the barrel and I shoot BH 209, it was not acceptable. Harvester seems to think it is shooting in the 90 degree weather. I have 50 bullets left and a bunch of sabots and will give them a try when the weather cools down, just out of curiosity.
I have had the experience of shooting 3 Barns TEZ 250 grain bullets, I have ordered 30 of them. If all goes well the Barns 250 gr will be my hunting bullet this year.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

That's been the exact opposite of my experience with the 300 gr. PT Gold in all 3 of my 50 cal. Knights. My best 3 shot 100 yd. group to date was out of my LRH and measured .290 inches. That gun has the Leheigh bare primer conversion, has been glass bedded and has Knight's target trigger set at 2 1/2 lbs. My standard load for all 3 Knights for the Harvester and Hornady;s 300 gr SST is 110 gr. of BH 209, a Federal 209A Primer and Harvester's Black Crush Rib sabot. Both shoot sub MOA groups. Our Texas lease is overrun with feral hogs, so I've had a chance to give both bullets a good workout. The Hornady is not quite as accurate as the PT Gold, but none of the 12 hogs I shot with it ran more than 15 yds and internal damage was impressive. If you don't use Harvester's alighner you will pull the plastic tip out from time to time. Never had that problem with the Hornady,