Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The flip side of how long >

The flip side of how long

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The flip side of how long

Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Those Thor bullet plopping out of Muley's barrel reminds me of a funny story from years past. It was late ML season in PA and this guy was picking up his buddy well before light for a morning hunt. Parked in the alley behind his house waiting for him this guy decided to foul his barrel. Sooo in the wee hours of the morning he poured some powder down the barrel, primed the pan of his Rene. He cocked the hammer and pulled the trigger expecting the powder in the barrel to just burn and flame out. WRONG. There was a loud BOOM and every light in the neighborhood came on. Cops showed up. But unlike today, after explaining what had happened the cops had a good laugh and sent the guys on their way.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sabot.........Do you still hunt with a Renegade?
Old 08-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Sabot.........Do you still hunt with a Renegade?
No not really any longer, I mainly use them for Rondies now. I really enjoy shooting them but have gone the other direction in hunting.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Wish I could give him all mine, I have used both 11's and Musket cap's back a few years ago and at this point you could have every Musket cap I have. I will continue to use #11's

I started with Musket caps because everybody said they were hotter but I really had problems with them in cold weather - made the switch to #11 Mag caps and found nipples that the cap fit very tightly on - to the point they are nearly water proof - and every thing is good.

It still comes down to whomever said "keep your powder dry"
sabotloader,

I agree...I prefer the #11 Mag caps myself. My neighbor never had problems with the Musket caps but then he never hunted in cold weather with the rifle, our late season is flint only.

BPS