Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The flip side of how long >

The flip side of how long

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The flip side of how long

Old 08-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Never had a FTF deer hunting, no matter how long I left my gun loaded or for any other reason. I don't swab between shots when I am hunting Like I do on the range, so I don't anticipate any associated problems, and with traditional guns I learnt everything I needed to know about #11 waterproof caps early on. As far as the flash hole in the nipple I found that out on the range, ever now and then when using the renegade I check it, even though the one that failed was original since 1984. I guess that is what shooting at the range before season is all about, to make sure your equipment is working in good order. I don't think it is funny. If you read the posts you can learn from what These guys are saying. Even if you know all the information already it doesn't mean that some one else could not benefit from the information. I think that is the main reason for this thread.

Last edited by d.winsor; 08-17-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got tired of fiddling with #11 caps. I switched to musket caps. Probably not needed, but just like shooting the load out every night.

It makes me feel better.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is funny. I'm the one who shoots the load every night, and i've never had a hang fire or fail to fire.
So.. why did you give me money to modify your breech plug?
Old 08-18-2014, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

I have had mutliple failures to fire, but this was due to an incorrect headspace issue on the CVA Kodiak Mag. I have had a partial ignition in a CVA Kodiak Mag using 777 pellets that I believe to be weather / care related and therefore relevant here.

Loaded the gun and went for a morning hunt in Southern Michigan during late December many years ago. The tempuratures were negative numbers and I hunted as long as I could stand it. I was so cold I brought the gun into the house and put it in the corner with the barrell poiting up as I tried to feel my fingers again (I am sure you guys can relate). Took the gun out that night for an evening hunt and had a doe come in at 20 yards broadside. Leveled the gun, pulled the trigger and received a "pop" then fireworks come out of the end of the barrell. I was able to reload and nail the doe.

I believe the condensation formed in the cold barrell causing moisture to get into the powder. The power of the primer & some ignition was enough to move the load out of the barrell. IMO, the "fireworks" was powder igniting as the pellets fell apart during inconsistent ignition.

Since then I simply keep the gun in its case in the garage and do not bring it in the house. I have not had any issues since.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
So.. why did you give me money to modify your breech plug?
I can't believe you keep bringing this up. As i've told you many times, and even told you when I sent you the BP. I did it for a little extra insurance the load would fire. Just like i'm using musket caps now when the #11 caps were working fine. I never had a no fire with the stock BP you modified.

All it took to make the stock BP to work was to keep the flash channel clean, use magnum primers, pack the powder tight, and set the headspace.

btw Thanks again for doing the BP for me. Even though I told you that many times. You seem to forget.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're welcome.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

So far I have read some excellent information about how guns FTF. There is knowledge in mishaps as well as successes.

I can remember one that happened to my friend although I am sure he's tried to forget it. And its getting that time of year when we like to tell stories.

My friend and I were hunting a river bottom in December. He always used a T/C .54 Hawkens Rifle loaded with round ball. That morning because of the damp weather and cold I had drizzled powder into the nipple port of mine before heading out. He watched me and laughed about me "wasting my time and energy." We had to shoot does on that property and besides we were meat hunters. I had shot one doe already and had a tag left. So it was decided he would get first chance. And I knew that meant we'd be dragging a deer out for him because he was an excellent shot.

We had just crossed a creek that had thin ice, so we were careful. And as the shelf ice cracked, a doe stuck her head up in the brush in front of us. Looking around. Her ears were twitching so she was trying to figure out the noise I suspect. I watched as my buddy pulled up, cocked the rifle, hit the set trigger, smiled at me and then... pop. FTF. I threw my .54 Renegade to my shoulder, hammer back, and BOOM!! Took her right through the neck. (she was only twenty five yards away) We pulled her out and the whole way back he was cussing his rifle.

The next day, he wanted me to hunt with him (I think in case we had to drag another one out) so I went and did not take any rifle. At the truck he loaded as normal. Then, as I watched, he took the nipple out, looked at me and grinned, drizzled the powder down it, and off we went. He shot a huge doe that morning. Good thing I was there to help drag.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, I can add one FTF, but I knew it was going to happen.

I was shooting an Accura MR at the time, and BH 209. I had some Thor bullets left from a previous gun I had. They weren't a tight fit in the MR, and I had my doubts that the BH would fire without a better compression of the powder than the loose Thor could give.

When I pulled the trigger all that went off was the primer, and the Thor plopped out about 10 feet in front of me. It got a good laugh at the range. I tried one more with the fouled barrel hoping it would be a little tighter. Nope! Another plopped out Thor, and another laugh from the crowd.

So, make sure you have a tight bullet fit when you use BH 209. So you can compress the powder.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Well when we talk FTF on the range I have had a lot of them. Especially with my Optima. That was until the forum advised a BH Breech plug, and hotter primers. Now I am pleased to report that the Optima handles BH209 perfect.

Most of the traditional rifle FTF on the range were caused by too wet of a swab patch and not enough dry ones afterward.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I usually just give a clean patch one lick to swab. The a dry patch. It's never failed me yet.

I always blow down the barrel after the shot to make sure the smoke blows out the nipple. I always know it's clear that way. I know some ranges don't like that, but mine isn't one of them. I never did see the danger in it. I'm checking to see the smoke blow out. I can only do it after i've shot. Where's the danger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.