Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Field Gun?

Old 08-17-2014, 02:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default Field Gun?

Depending on where you live, MZ season is sneaking up on us. Here in KS we have a split season. We actually get the first crack at them the last two weeks of September and then I can use my MZ during the rifle season in early December. This year I'm going to try the Sept. hunt for the first time. I've been told it's a challenge but it will be good to give it a try.

The last two years I've been hunting with a 45 Knight Disc Elite and the 200 Grain SST. I have great confidence in this rifle. However, over the summer I purchased 100 rounds of 300 grain Nosler Partitions. I've heard such good reports on their performance I thought I'd give it a go this fall. I will use the 50 Knight Disc Extreme. The T-Hole really fits my face nice vs. the standard stock. I think I have fat cheek bones.

The go to load now is:

300 Partition
Harvester Long Sabot
100 grains of BH 209

What will the crowd be hunting with this Fall?
Old 08-17-2014, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

The rifle will be an X7 rifle, with a 1X Nikon mounted, per regulation. Loaded to be able to shoot as absolutely far as i can see through the 1X scope. The load i currently plan to use is 110g Blackhorn, 300g Deep Curl, Federal 215 primer, crush rib sabot.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had to take a new picture of the rifle; here he is. He is short, light, accurate, and reliable. He won't be unloaded each and every night through the 6 week long season.. December 1, 2014 to January 15, 2015.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Will hunt the first week of Ft. Sill muzzleloader season with a TC New Englander in either .50 or .54 caliber and patched round ball. Accuracy wise the .54 is not there yet: The .50 is.

Assuming i don't get a deer the first week of Ft. Sill muzzleloader season, i'll use either an Encore or Black Diamond in .50 caliber the second week. The bullet will be the 250 grain SST. Will use the same guns during OK muzzleloader season, OK rifle season and Ft. Sill rifle season.

May drag out the .54 FireHawk. It shoots patched round balls like a dream.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll be using a Renegade .50. Pretty much stock, but I did put 50 coats of tung oil on the stock to protect it, and perk it up a bit.

My loads are.

PRB....90gr of Olde Eynsford BP and, musket cap for mule and whitetail deer.

370gr maxiball.....80gr of Olde Enysford, and musket cap for bull elk.

Stock rear sight, and red FO front sight for low light.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't miss a chance to show off my Pro Hunter.
Field Gun?-encore2.jpg

Stainless Pro Hunter
MGM .45 barrel 1-14 twist

The only thing I haven't decided on is whether I want to us smokeless or BH209. I'll be using 200 SST's either way.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

I'll be using the Nintendo 64 cal. with 120vac .5 amp...........OOOPPPSS....sorry wrong rifle

I'll be using my Knight Elite 45 cal with 120gr BH209 and a Barnes 195gr Expander with a Harvester smooth blue sabot. It will most likely be the Iowa late muzzleloader season.

The first season for hunting will be mid September for the Iowa youth hunt, which is my favorite time to be in the field. My son and daughter will be using the TC Impact with 60gr BH209 pushing a 250gr Barnes TMZ.

My 15yr old will be using his Triumph with 100gr BH209 and a 250gr Barnes TEZ with a Harvester smooth black sabot. He loves his rifle and is a crack shot in the field with it.

My older son and wife can pick and choose any rifle they want but I will recommend that they shoot my knight Elite with the combo posted above or the Apex with 110gr BH209 using a Barnes 250gr TEZ with the Harvester smooth black sabot.

Last edited by BuckDoeHunter; 08-17-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Spike

Greetings all, I too am gearing up for Kansas Muzzleloader Season. My weapon of choice in a T/C Triumph. I have it pretty dialed in with 2 pellets, Triple 7 primers and 240 XTP-Mags.

Never know what you will get with the Kansas early season, could be super hot or you could see some frost. I ruined two coyotes days last year on opening weekend. Triumph makes a quite a coyote gun in a pinch.

Here she is

Old 08-23-2014, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by FordManF150
Greetings all, I too am gearing up for Kansas Muzzleloader Season. My weapon of choice in a T/C Triumph. I have it pretty dialed in with 2 pellets, Triple 7 primers and 240 XTP-Mags.

Never know what you will get with the Kansas early season, could be super hot or you could see some frost. I ruined two coyotes days last year on opening weekend. Triumph makes a quite a coyote gun in a pinch.

Here she is

Nice Rig.

Those XTP Mags will get the job done.

This is the first year I've really tried to hunt the early MZ Season. Two years ago I hunted for 45 Minutes and shot a dandy Whitetail but I'm writing that up as a very lucky encounter.

I'm not sure what to expect but I'll have fun finding out.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BuckDoeHunter

I'll be using the Nintendo 64 cal. with 120vac .5 amp...........OOOPPPSS....sorry wrong rifle

I'll be using my Knight Elite 45 cal with 120gr BH209 and a Barnes 195gr Expander with a Harvester smooth blue sabot. It will most likely be the Iowa late muzzleloader season.

The first season for hunting will be mid September for the Iowa youth hunt, which is my favorite time to be in the field. My son and daughter will be using the TC Impact with 60gr BH209 pushing a 250gr Barnes TMZ.

My 15yr old will be using his Triumph with 100gr BH209 and a 250gr Barnes TEZ with a Harvester smooth black sabot. He loves his rifle and is a crack shot in the field with it.

My older son and wife can pick and choose any rifle they want but I will recommend that they shoot my knight Elite with the combo posted above or the Apex with 110gr BH209 using a Barnes 250gr TEZ with the Harvester smooth black sabot.
It's almost painful seeing your son in those heavy winter clothes when the heat index was approaching 100 today. Hard to think about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.