Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I should have cheated >

I should have cheated

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I should have cheated

Old 08-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I should have cheated

My son is super busy being 20 years old with a wife and a baby, but I got him out to shoot with me. He was using the Hot Rod Renegade and I was using the Hot Rod Renegade Hunter single trigger. They are below in that order.

So we get to the range and both guns are sighted in out to 250 yards. My rifle has been shot a little less then Jacobs. His rifle has been the go to rifle for many years. Our load was the same as always, 80 grains of Pyrodex P. We used an over powder wad, and a Paper Patched Lee 500 S&W bullet. The game was PIG and we used either shooting sticks or off hand. All yardages were confirmed with a rangefinder and I told him the yardage just like we were hunting.
The target was a 12x17 steel target on a steel frame.

Jacob picked the yardage, and I shot first. After several rounds we were tied no misses. So Jacob picked a 50 yard shot, and I get ready to shoot. I have a hang fire and I miss! I was so mad at my self letting him get me on a chip shot. His shot almost punched through the metal. It is the one just to the left of the faint orange spot. After each round I painted the holes so we could tell where we hit. I was surprised that we had four hits go through the hole. We could not have confirmed it unless we painted each time. I picked a 125 yard off hand shot that gave Jacob his P and now we were tied.

We reloaded and this had to be the last shot. By this time we were into this game almost two hours and we were tied with only one miss a piece. After loading I headed out to 250 yards. This was the Quigly shot. I set my sight and I looked over at Jacobs sight. His setting was different than mine. I thought to myself I should just use his setting since I knew that setting was a proven setting. My setting on my rifle had only a few shots and that was in a wind. I told Jacob I saw his setting and I wondered why mine was different. I decided not to cheat and I shot my setting. I was high, DANG!! Jacob and I were dealing with a right to left wind and he didn't dope the wind. His bullet pulled left and off the target, and it hit the leg of the stand. The spray of the lead hit the target like a shotgun pattern. You could see faint silver shards on it. His elevation was on so he beat me.

I gave him that one and called him the winner. I payed up the usual bet of an ice cream cone and decided to shoot today. There was no wind so I got to shoot over a bench and confirm my 200 yard sight in. I hit the hole in the target. That made me happy so I headed out to 250 yards. I loaded and shot the setting that jacob shot. I hit the metal on the first shot. It was at the bottom left corner. I made an adjustment and hit it again.
Getting this rifle ready to hunt with has been fun. I changed the trigger guard a month ago or so. That change has been awesome. The rifle shoots like a dream.

The long range shooting is not to stretch out my personal limits. My personal limit is 150 yards on the first shot at an animal. All the settings past that are if something went wrong and I have a wounded animal I have the ability to keep shooting to clean up a mess. I practice that scenario but I have never had to do it in the field with my 500 S&W bullets. Hunting season is getting close, We will have a chance to play PIG again I hope before the season is on us. Ron
Old 08-17-2014, 02:30 AM
Typical Buck

Its a beautiful combination of art and science you have going with those two rifles.

The practice can only help.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you guys had a fun time. Always fun to shoot with family and friends
Old 08-17-2014, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Love those guns Ron. I have a Big Boer .58 Renegade and love shooting it. As of now it shoots PRB the best. Can't seemed to find a conical to shoot nicely in it. The best I can do is with a Maxi-bullet at 50 yds, two inches! Not to my standard yet, but still looking. I am rounding pup different bullets to try.

I'm thinking of putting a peep sight on the tang. Any suggestions?

Last edited by rafsob; 08-17-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Very nice shooting there... those big lead bullets are mean. They really put the smack on things.

What make of mold cast those 500 S&W bullet? I have that same barrel and a number of rifle stocks to choose from.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Very nice shooting there... those big lead bullets are mean. They really put the smack on things.

What make of mold cast those 500 S&W bullet? I have that same barrel and a number of rifle stocks to choose from.
The mould is the LEE C-501-440-RF. After making them I patch them and size them with a lee .501 sizer. They go down very snug and are wicked accurate.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You must play hell trying to keep those white barrels clean!!!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by idahoron
The mould is the LEE C-501-440-RF. After making them I patch them and size them with a lee .501 sizer. They go down very snug and are wicked accurate.
You size them to .501 and then paper wrap them? Why not size them to .502 and shoot them without the paper? I have a .502 sizer. I might have to purchase that mold. It might be fun to shoot. Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Th bullet is .501 and I wrap them in paper. Then I size them to .501 the paper swells back out a pinch and the bullet is tight. If you loaded these things as is they would fall back out the barrel. I wrap them in paper to protect the bullet from the barrel and the barrel from the bullet. The accuracy and consistency is much greater with paper. These would also fall through a .502 sizer.

rafsob, these are Stainless barrels.
Ron
Old 08-19-2014, 03:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Right I have both the stainless steel barrel and two of the blued ones. I have shot some conical bullets I size down and they do well at the ranges I am shooting them. But that is some fine shooting your doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.