Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Thompson Center Pennsylvania Hunter Flintlock >

Thompson Center Pennsylvania Hunter Flintlock

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Center Pennsylvania Hunter Flintlock

Old 08-19-2014, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by goatbrother
Some double set triggers will fire both set and un-set. Best of both.
Sort of. Using the front trigger unset is usually a really hard pull unless you use an after market trigger like the Davis. Even then it's more pull than I like.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunterdn78
This is the first time I have owned a flintlock, always had percussion guns before. Is there anything I should do to the frizzen to keep it working like new? Any other details that I need to know to make my shooting a success?
hunterdn78,

MAKE SURE you wipe both the frizzen and the edge of the flint clean of any oils with a patch saturated with 91% alcohol and then a dry patch before a shooting session. I also put my finger over the touch hole (or vent if you prefer) and then pour a couple tablespoons or so of alcohol down the bore. Put another finger over the bore and tip the rifle back and forth a few times and then dump the alcohol out. Swab the bore with a couple of dry patches. You should then be free of any oil residue and ready to load.

Make sure your flint edge is square to the face of the frizzen to ensure a good set of sparks.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 08-22-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Because I wanted to...
Old 09-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Spike

Thank to all the great advice! I have worked on the existing trigger and it has an improved pull now. I am still looking to install double set triggers when I figure out what to get and install. So glad that we have a forum on black powder, what a great way to learn so much.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by goatbrother
Some double set triggers will fire both set and un-set. Best of both.
My wife HATES to use the trigger "set"... (she's a little heavy handed on trigger pull). I honed and smoothed the bearing surfaces on her Cabela's .54 Hawken percussion (double set) and her T/C PA hunter carbine flintlock (single trigger) so she now shoots them both very well and has taken several deer with each.

BPS