Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

t/c renegade

Old 07-23-2014, 09:47 AM
Spike

Default t/c renegade

what are the recommended min and max powder loads for the renegade .54 CAL using pyrodex ff
Old 07-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Spike

im itching to take it out but don't want to damage it or get injured
Old 07-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

PRB, or conical?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

In a .54 Renegade, and using Pyrodex RS, you won't get into any trouble with loads up to 120 grains regardless of projectile. But your most accurate and comfortable shooting loads will likely be somewhere in the 70 to 90 grain range.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by upstateNYShunter
im itching to take it out but don't want to damage it or get injured
upstateNYhunter,

The T/C handbooks recommend 60-120 gr of FFg black powder for the 230 gr round ball in their .54 caliber rifles with 120 gr listed as the MAX load. It's pretty much the same for Pyro RS. You could also try FFFg black which will give you a little more velocity as it burns faster. Start with 60 gr and shoot 5 shot groups (swab between shots) raising the charge in 5 gr increments until you've achieved the smallest group. When the group starts to open up, you'll know which charge gives you the best accuracy for the specific charge (and type) of powder you're using. Keep in mind that the thickness of the patch and the type of lube you're using are also factors to consider so it pays to experiment. You can also try a .535 ball vs the standard .530 round ball.

The handbook recommends 90-120 gr charges for the Maxi-Ball and Maxi-Hunter solid conical bullets ranging from 365 gr weight of the Maxi-Hunter (round nose semi-hollow point design) to 435 and 540 gr weights for the Maxi-Ball (taper nosed design) again, the type of powder and lube you're using will give varying results. The LEE REAL bullet is another good conical to consider trying if you prefer conicals.

You'll probably find that charges between 70-100 gr will give you the best accuracy with one being the "sweet spot" that gives you the best. Personally, I wouldn't waste time and powder on max loads as they're nothing more than that... a waste of time and powder. You're not gonna hurt the rifle with any of the recommend charges, but if you start pushing those heavy conicals with heavy charges, you're gonna realize real quick that they're NOT comfortable to shoot!

So go out there and start shooting and have fun!

BPS
Old 07-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Spike

thank you all i will be firing orb and conical (most likely powrbelt
Old 07-23-2014, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

At what ranges are you expecting to shoot while hunting? Do you hunt forested hardwoods or do you prefer to watch fields? I usually tailor my rifles loads to 75 yds. because that's usually the max distance I can shoot in the woods I hunt. I don't care to watch fields or large open areas, I prefer to keep things "up close and personal".

BPS
Old 07-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are shooting a powerbelt, I would stay in the 90-100 gr load range. Soft lead bullets like powerbelts do better if you don't push them too hard. Using one of their bigger ones in the 400 range maybe up to 110 gr, but with that big of a bullet, there is no reason to use that much.

Powerwise there is no reason to exceed 100 gr. My elk load this year will be 90 gr of 777, which is roughly equivalent to 103 gr of pyrodex
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Dominant Buck

When I shot powerbelts out of my Renegade, I had to keep it around 80 grains. Anymore and they would spray all over the place. For roundball, 80-90 grains is my hunting load.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always shot 100 gr pyrodex with a 435 gr maxiball from my Renegade. They shot very well, and as long as you got your cheek on the run right, recoil was not bad at all.

I might just take it to the woods this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.