Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

HiLUx

Old 04-23-2014, 06:31 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Default HiLUx

I think HiLux could improve on their service. I decided to replace the creedmore sight on my Sharps with a Wm Malcolm 6X scope. I ordered the scope along with the 7" sunshade for the 32" barrel and the fine adjustment for elevation. I'm not much on China stuff but seems impossible to get a period correct scope otherwise. The optics have great reviews and the one Doc had on his ESR seemed pretty good so I went ahead and got one.
It arrived a week or so ago . I went to install it only to find out that the base dovetail was the wrong size. In the instruction manual they list 3 Sharps that require a different size dovetail. Mine was one of the three naturally. It sure would have been nice to know this info when I ordered so I could have gotten a different dovetail to start with. But there was no mentiobn of that fact except in the manual.
I immediately called Hilux and ordered a dovetail.it finally arrived in the mail on Monday.
The dovetail was a little big. The one that came stock was a little small. My first thought was to take a file to it, but the manual said it shouldn't be to tight to have to be driven in and to contact them if the fit wasn't right so I decided to do that.
The lady that answered the phone was very nice. She said the guy I needed to talk to wasn't in yet but she would have him call me the second he walked in the door.. needless to say that was a couple days ago and he still evidently hasn't walked in. Me being the impatient one decided 10 minutes after I talked to her to do it my way. So it's up and running . we will see if I leave it on or go back to a Creedmore. The gun is heavy. Now it is very heavy, like extremely heavy

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 04-23-2014 at 06:43 AM.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

that is sure a good looking rifle. Reminds me of Josie Wales and the Missouri boat ride part.

What caliber is that rifle? And what kind of ranges were you able to do with the open sights? This 6x should really make you a long distance shooter.