Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hard cast bullets

Old 04-18-2014, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dave, I used them for a number of years when inlines first came out. They gave the best accuracy at 100 grains of RS and they did the job on deer. There are a few jacketed bullets I like better, because I can shoot them with heavier loads and still get the accuracy and they shoot flatter and drop the deer faster. This was of major concern when I had to hunt on public property as we had a couple of deer stolen.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I was looking at some .429 diameter .44 caliber 265 grains Keith Nose. They look like they would be a great bullet to shoot. Have you ever shot the Keith Nose style Lee?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

There are hard cast bullets and hard cast bullets with big flat noses (meplats).

IME: Heavy hard cast bullets with big flat noses do not punch tiny holes through the hearts and lungs of animals. Those bullets turn the lungs into a bloody unrecognizable mess, something like jello.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Dominant Buck

well that is good to know. Plus much cheaper to shoot on the range.