Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Bighorn 209 conversion kit >

Knight Bighorn 209 conversion kit

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Bighorn 209 conversion kit

Old 04-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Knight Bighorn 209 conversion kit

I am thinking of converting my Knight Bighorn to 209 shotgun primers have any of you tryed it? will this help to not have hang fires? also what are the red jacket things? thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Hang fires are easy to fix. When you swab, make sure the bore is DRY before you load. And you might try a new breech plug if your having troubles. Picking the nipple between shots and using a hot #11 cap helps too. If you are shooting CCI standard caps, that could be your problem.

I have three LK rifles that are the same design as the Bighorn. I use #11 caps. And would never think of changing. Because I get less fouling and crud when I shoot. And I have no hang fires.

What kind of powder are you shooting? If your shooting pellets or Black Horn 209 with a #11 cap, that would explain the hang fires and misfires. I shoot black powder, Pyrodex RS and Triple Seven with #11 caps and never had a problem.

I would suppose if you went to a 209 primer system it would make your ignition less prone to hangfire. But with every change, there is a new set of problems that happen. With the 209 you can expect more crud when you shoot. More fouling in the breech area also.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

I have always used Pyrodex pellets and dry my bore with 2 or 3 dry patches after swabing, should I switch to loose powder? thanks
Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

should I switch to loose powder?
That's an easy one blaZer, YES. You're not going to find many guys on this forum who would recommend pellets over loose powder. The advanteges of loose are (1) easier/faster ignition, (2) ability to taylor loads, (3) less expensive, (4) longer shelf life, i.e. some have found pellets to degrade with age.

Last edited by Semisane; 04-13-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Dominant Buck

The hang fires are because your shooting pellets using a #11 cap. Switch to loose powder and all your problems will be solved. Pellets require a large flame to properly ignite. What your doing is throwing a small spark on it that then has to burn powder enough to ignite the entire pellet.

Pyrodex RS will work perfect in that rifle. My LK rifles with the 22 inch barrels like 85-90 grains of loose Pyrodex and they shoot excellent. Try some loose powder and then let us know what kind of problems your having.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

ok will do, thanks
Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

blaZer_2

I would add with Pyro pellets you need to put them in the bore correctly with the black powder end of the pellet going down the bore first
Old 04-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

I got some pyrodex RS today and it is doing great thanks, you guys saved me some money!