logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Spike

Default Scoped or fiber optic open sights.

Im buying a new CVA muzzle loader and am wondering if i should use a scope or use open sights for hunting. The longest shot were i will be hunting would be 70 yards, most averaging 20-45. So not any long range hunting. Thanks in advance.
UpstateNYHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Giant Nontypical

If your eyes are good enough and you can shoot open sights effectively then have at it. However, you may want to consider that a scope can identify those pesky limbs that tend to make bullets go astray. Especially during low light conditions when deer are most active.

I'm not as good as I'm gonna get - but I'm better than I used to be.
"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

bronko22000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Typical Buck

Scope, A nice 2-7x with low mounts will be good. Any time you can use a scope in your state, take advantage and place your shots accurately.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Nontypical Buck

If it's an inline, I'd scope it. Low power or even red dot for short range work.

HA
Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Boone & Crockett

I hunt under about the same conditions. 50 yards is a very long shot for me. But I have bad eyes and they are getting worse. When younger, the open sights were fine. But the older I get the more I appreciate the scope. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, a simple 4x will do fine. If you have a little more, I would suggest a 2-7x32 Nikon Pro Staff scope. Excellent glass, and with the power range it will match all your hunting needs from quick shots to using the high power to double check what you think is that monster buck.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck, screaming Yahoo, with a big smile on your face."
cayugad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Fork Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
Scope, A nice 2-7x with low mounts will be good. Any time you can use a scope in your state, take advantage and place your shots accurately.

DITTO!!! I hope Mn changes their no scope law, but it is unlikely, Good Hunting
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Giant Nontypical

There are some advantages to using a scope, when in a low light situation you can use a low power scope with a decent size objective lens to see clearly and aim precisely when any kind of irons will blur. the 2 X 7 or 1.5 X4 are very good especially in a 40 or 50 mm objective.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Nontypical Buck

2x7s are my favorite but if all my shots were close i would be fine with less magnification and more field of view. I think Nikon still offers a 1.6x5x36 Omega that would be nice without the BDC.

And Natchez has them on sale without the BDC too
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...&prodID=NK8441
ULA Model 20 50cal
Savage MLII SS Pacnor 45

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-14-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Gm54-120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
Fork Horn

Hunting in nys for me I use open sites with a peep.
sbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
Typical Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronko22000 View Post
If your eyes are good enough and you can shoot open sights effectively then have at it. However, you may want to consider that a scope can identify those pesky limbs that tend to make bullets go astray. Especially during low light conditions when deer are most active.
+ 1 on this. I switched from open sites to scope for this reason alone. My shots are maybe 70 yards max as well, but often in heavy brush. It may seem counterintuitive to some that a scope is necessary in such short ranges, but it is amazing what appears to be a clear shot, turns out with a scope to be full of little twigs and such. Just make sure that your scope has a decent field of view for those quick shots.
hubby11 is offline   Reply With Quote