logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Nontypical Buck

Default FFg Goex in my .54 Deerhunter

Some time ago I got my first Traditions Deerhunter rifle. It is a .54 caliber with a 1 in 48 inch twist and a 24 inch barrel purchased as a kit. The rifle was purchased to shoot patched round balls. At that time I only had FFFg Goex so I gave it a try shooting the round balls. The outcome was not very good so I tried some .54 caliber MMP sabots with XTP's only to find out it shot them very well. The problem was I have enough rifles to shoot sabots out of and wanted one to shoot .54 caliber round balls. Suggestions were given for me to try some FFg so I finally got around to getting some and giving it a try. I was pleased by the outcome this time. Although the targets are nothing to jump up and down about, they do show that with FFg this rifle shows some promise in it's ability to shoot patched round balls.

Last edited by pluckit; 08-07-2013 at 07:25 AM.
pluckit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Nontypical Buck

The first target was shot with red MMP sabots and a .45 caliber Cheap Shot bullet at 50 yards.

The next target I switched to patched round balls. The patch was an old blue work apron with olive oil as a lube and was also shot at 50 yards starting with 60 grains of FFg Goex.

Still at 50 yards and with the same ball, patch and lube I raised the charge to 70 grains FFg Goex.

Again, with the the same patch, ball and lube, I raised the charge to 80 grains of the same powder and shot again at 50 yards.

It looks like around 70 grains will work best. but I wanted to try ahooting a target at 100 yards and see what would happen with the 80 grain charge. The first two shots were in a line vetically with the third shot but just off the paper, low. So I raised my point of aim to the top of the paper and shot the third shot. About a 6 inch drop from 50 to 100 yards. Not too bad I guess. Thats about the same as the drop of a 370 grain Maxiball out of my .50 caliber Hawken. And the recoil insn't half as bad.

I will need to fine tune the scope and see what I can do next time out.
By the way. I don't know how well you can see the patches, but there are no cuts or holes in them. They look like I could use them again.

Last edited by pluckit; 08-07-2013 at 07:26 AM.
pluckit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Giant Nontypical

Pluckit I would continue to increase the charges and see what happens. 100, even 110 gr of FFg might get that .54 shooting really well.

I'm not as good as I'm gonna get - but I'm better than I used to be.
"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

bronko22000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Boone & Crockett

My Traditions flintlock Hawken rifles (the Woodsman) shoots best with FFg and 85 to 90 grains of powder. The next thing you might try is different lubes. Next time out, just for kicks, take a chunk of patch and put that in your mouth and suck on it for a while. When its good and damp, load the ball with a spit patch. It might surprise you.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck, screaming Yahoo, with a big smile on your face."
cayugad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
Typical Buck

moose milk. I used to use olive oil but MM kicks its butt.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Fork Horn

I'd try Hornady .535" swaged roundballs and crank the charge to 100gr FFg, use cotton "pillow ticking" patches and spit patch.

Great results in my .50's (.005" undersize), always shot over 90 grains. Saw no degredation in accuracy upping the charge.
50 yards were cloverleafs (after bbls shot in, new TC's back in the day, using roundball, took about 75 shots or so to stop the vertical stringing).

Last edited by hookeye; 08-05-2013 at 11:38 PM.
hookeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
Fork Horn

BTW, FFg always shot the best for me, no ignition probs, was consistent.
This new crap has given me some fits in my Hawken SE.
I think going to musket cap has helped, but I'd really like to find a local source for FFg and test my old beauty.
hookeye is offline   Reply With Quote