logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
Spike

Default knight 52 caliber

The Best kept secret at Knight might just be the Mountaineer 52 caliber
I recently had the pleasure to spend a day at the range with the 52 caliber Mountaineer and found it to be a real shooter. When I first started shooting the gun I thought ďWhatís the Big DealĒ. I didnít understand, why make a fuss over the 52 when you are still shooting the same bullets you shoot in your 50 caliber. A closer examination of the 52 reveals it has a one in twenty six twist. As most of you shooters know the faster the twist the more accurate your rifle will perform with larger bullets. My gun likes 110 grains of both Blackhorn and T-7 behind a gray sabot and a 220 grain Bloodline by Lehigh Defense. This load has shot many sub-moa groups at a hundred yards and less than three inch groups at two hundred yards. An anomaly with the 52 caliber is with the same amount of powder and the same bullet the 52 will shoot faster and flatter than the 50. I donít know how but it does. My plan is to shoot the longer bullets out of the one in twenty six to see if the accuracy improves. I truly donít know how it can, but looking forward to trying it out. We recently shot some footage shooting the 52, the Ultra-Lite 50 and the 45 at three and four hundred yards. The 52 shot flatter than the 50 using the same powder and bullet combination. If you want a true long-range hunter you should take a look at the 52 caliber Mountaineer.
DiscMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
Nontypical Buck

I have to Agree that the .52 offers some advantages over the 50 but I think it's hard for people to accept a proprietary caliber . If sabots and accessories were offered in retail outlets to the extent that they are for 50 cal them the market might open up . With having to order everything from Knight or a limited number of distributors it kinda makes it a niche market . You make a good case for a faster twist 50 cal though when you attribute the increased accuracy to the faster twist of the 52 shooting the same bullet as the 50 .
Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
Spike

Yes I would like to see a 1 in 24 in the 50 and a 1 in 20 in 45 or a even a 1 in 18, what do you think
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Nontypical Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscMan View Post
Yes I would like to see a 1 in 24 in the 50 and a 1 in 20 in 45 or a even a 1 in 18, what do you think
I agree . Those twists are what I prefer . I've been hoping to see some new Knights in those twists . Then I could put the Whites and original Discs away . Mountaineers in those calibers and twists would be great
Old 01-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
Nontypical Buck

I looked real hard at a .52 when Knight first came back in business. As sharpsshooter said, when it came down to it I didn't want to own a caliber where supplies were only available from the manufacturer. If you could order Harvester sabots from Midway or Grafs or pick them up at Cabelas, I would have probably gone with one. I think Knight would have a lot better luck with something like a 1-24 .50 and a 1-20 or 22 .45. I thinik if you go faster you than that in either caliber you have to figure out how to either speed the bullet up or become limited to real long, heavy bullets.
SuperKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Nontypical Buck

I think in regards to the .52 that for big game like Elk it holds a definite ballistic advantage for long range shots with bigger bullets over the .50 and even the .54 .
Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
Spike

It's not like the movie Field of dreams Build it and they will come. Buyers need to let the Company know what they want then get their billfold out.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
Boone & Crockett

DISCMAN

Welcome to my world... I discovered the 52 a long time back, basically because I was seeking the faster twist.

Back then I wrote a little piece that indicated that I thought we might be overlooking a very valuable asset to ML hunting especially after Lehigh/Bloodline introduced the the .458-220 grain DOA...

I will like to copy and paste a couple of posts

Quote:
Well I had a bit of time today and I really wanted to get some shooting in. The farm is to muddy so I headed to the Little Boulder Rock Pit.

I did debate about which rifle to shoot but it was an easy decision when I got to thinking about the Extreme 52. I know a lot of people consider this gun a wasted caliber, but for myself it is one of my more favorite guns to shoot. The rifle shoots lights out and is very reliable, but my biggest reason for getting one was the 1-26" twist that Knight uses in that caliber. The twist really makes it more valuable to me as it shoots longer heavier bullets that require a bit more stabilazation than a 1-28 might offer. Basically this rifle is my Elk rifle. I feel very confident shooting the long Bloodline/Lehigh offerings + the heavy long lead conicals that Bull Shop Dan offers.

Anyway grabbed the rifle and headed to the Rock Pit. Did not have a whole lot of time so when I got to the pit I just set up a bunch of clay birds. While I was setting up my new birds, I found a lot of broke birds that still had really good sized pieces left so I set them up also - to increase the challenge a bit.

I did end up shooting the shorter .458-275 grain DOA as this bullet is my universal bullet from the 52. I can use it both for deer and elk and not feel under-gunned.

Other than that not much else I can add except a couple of pictures... but it was a fun short afternoon.

I know the propriety thing bothers some because they fear that Knight can control the price and availabilty of the sabots. But, so far under the new company they have made them available and the price is very competitive with other MMP products.

Twists rates...

Quote:
Since I have been shooting the 1-24 twist in my Whites for years - I have always been fond of the rate in a 50 cal rifle. It is a proven twist for today. Although it is just not the twist rate but the depth of the grooves that should also be looked at.

At this point the the Knight Super DISC that I have has shown me that the 1-20 works very well for the projectiles I shoot. I know that the smokeless folks and builders are hangin their at the 1-22 twist rate. I do not have enought information to really know which twist might provide the widest variety of success with a wider variety of projectiles, both in length and caliber.

And since I do not know about the 1-22, I certainly am no better at predicting a 1-18 but I would lean to the fact that if the 1-18 were that promising we would have seen that move already from the independent people purchasing CUSTOM barrels.

When it comes to the 45 and bullets, other than sabotless, we are at the mercy and quality of the sabot and getting the major sabot makers to make a big move in the 45 caliber market might be a tough sale until there is a bigger market.

Just some thoughts from the peanut gallery...

Last edited by sabotloader; 01-28-2013 at 06:43 AM.
sabotloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #9
Giant Nontypical

Are there any .52 cal conicals available?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
Boone & Crockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muley Hunter View Post
Are there any .52 cal conicals available?
Yes, Pete, there are 52 cal Lead Conicals available, not widely known but a gentleman back east builds them and sells them.