logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Banned

Default I wonder how this would work ??

I been hunting with my 1:20 Knight disc . i really like the fast twist . I have been shooting a bullet that seems to have great potential for long range. But at the same time I've had a hankering to get my Sidelock out and use it.
At first i figured that I will just wait til Muzzleloader season or the refuge hunt, that's when I usually use it . well this year i didn't draw a refuge tag, so that means december when muzzy season starts. Then I had a recollection of a gun that just might let me do both.( shoot a sidelock and the current bullet I'm using)
A few years ago Doc made me a English Sporting rifle

It has a Douglas barrel with a 1:20 twist, and a flip up ladder sight good to 700 yards.

I bet ,since it's the same twist as the Disc, that it will shoot the saboted 230 gr bullet. The big factor is the sabot fit. I guess the only way to know would be to try it. If it shoots that combination then I could satisfy my hankering to shoot the sidelock while still using the same bullet for hunting.
I am going bow hunting for a few days but maybe next week I can experiment and see.
1874sharpsshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Nontypical Buck

Blasphemy!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder33 View Post
blasphemy!!!

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 10-07-2012 at 07:02 AM.
1874sharpsshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Boone & Crockett

It very well might. And it would probably shoot a conical bullet real well.. knowing Doc's history of gun making. That is a beautiful rifle.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck, screaming Yahoo, with a big smile on your face."
cayugad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Boone & Crockett

1874sharpsshooter

Shoot oh-deer! I sure would try it bet it works like a champ...

It might have a looser bore bore than the Knight but the sabot should be able to obterate to it with the pressure of the shot. I am pretty sure the MMP would as it is a bit softer than the Harvester...

When I got my U-Mag and asked Doc about 'will it shoot sabots?' He wanted to know why would I do that and then got around to saying 'it should' - really do not think he would ever waste his time that way - but believe me the U-Mag will shoot sabots....

Give it a try - now I wanna know...
Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Giant Nontypical

I don't see why it wouldn't shoot the conicals well. Like you said, you may have to play with different sabots until you get the fit you want, then its just a matter of what charge it likes. With that twist the rifle was designed to shoot big conicals or saboted bullets. Good luck.. And yeah, that's a nice rifle.

I'm not as good as I'm gonna get - but I'm better than I used to be.
"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

bronko22000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
Nontypical Buck

45cal sabot with 350gr bullets!!!!!
http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/my...c%20Tables.htm

Thats gunna leave a mark.

The largest PR 45x40 is about 260gr IIRC and shoots fine in a 1-20.

IMO the best hope for a new 45x40 is a 40cal 230-240gr jacketed or upto a 230gr monolithic bullet. Anything larger is probably going to need a new sabot.
Savage MLII SS Pacnor 45
Gm54-120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Nontypical Buck

That's a pretty rifle. Real pretty. I was eyeballing a parts kit for one of those from Pecatonica Long Rifles, but a different barrel obviously. I should go look at that again.
You need to shoot that and let us know how it works.
SuperKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
Typical Buck

Very NICE!!!!!
Now if you had a feather in your butt and that rifle was mine we would both be tickled.

I bet that would shoot my paper patched bullets very well.
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter View Post
I been hunting with my 1:20 Knight disc . i really like the fast twist . I have been shooting a bullet that seems to have great potential for long range. But at the same time I've had a hankering to get my Sidelock out and use it.
At first i figured that I will just wait til Muzzleloader season or the refuge hunt, that's when I usually use it . well this year i didn't draw a refuge tag, so that means december when muzzy season starts. Then I had a recollection of a gun that just might let me do both.( shoot a sidelock and the current bullet I'm using)
A few years ago Doc made me a English Sporting rifle

It has a Douglas barrel with a 1:20 twist, and a flip up ladder sight good to 700 yards.

I bet ,since it's the same twist as the Disc, that it will shoot the saboted 230 gr bullet. The big factor is the sabot fit. I guess the only way to know would be to try it. If it shoots that combination then I could satisfy my hankering to shoot the sidelock while still using the same bullet for hunting.
I am going bow hunting for a few days but maybe next week I can experiment and see.
idahoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
Giant Nontypical

Send a message via Yahoo to MountainDevil54

45 or 50 cal?