Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Knight Full Plastic Jacket >

Knight Full Plastic Jacket

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Full Plastic Jacket

Old 09-12-2003, 01:34 PM

Default Knight Full Plastic Jacket

I have a Knight Bighorn that currently shoots 209 primers and am considering getting the conversion kit for the full plastic jacket system. Is it worth the extra money (around $50)?

Knight claims the system is virtually waterproof and the plastic jackets are supposed to load with no tools. Can anybody let me know what their experiences are with the plastic jackets.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Knight Full Plastic Jacket

I converted my Knight MK-85 to shoot the full plastic jackets. They are very easy to load- you can push them on with your finger with no problem. When you shoot your rifle with these, the 209 primers will not blow apart and you will get a lot less blowback into your action, resulting in less fouling and easier cleaning. They do form a tight waterproof seal around the breech plug. Add to all of this the convenience of keeping extra jackets with primers already seated in your pocket or pouch, and reloading will be much faster. I am very pleased with my conversion kit. I hope this helps you out.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Knight Full Plastic Jacket

it all depends on your Bighorn action! If the end of the Bighorn action that meets the 209 primer has a concave end to it that covers the 209 primer, you should be protected unless it' s a heavy storm. That feature also renders much less scope blowback than rifles without it.

Examine your action -- close it with a primer attached & look at the seal. If it doesn' t seal good, buy the plastic conversion.