Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lyman Great Plains RIFLE >

Lyman Great Plains RIFLE

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman Great Plains RIFLE

Old 09-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Lyman Great Plains RIFLE

That's right, I said Rifle not Hunter. I had shot already today the Staghorn Magnum and had cleaned it. I was just sitting down ready to rest when the door bell rang. It was the mailman.

He had me sign for a box, and commented to me.. kind of heavy Dave.. wonder what that could be. And I just smiled back and told him to have a nice day.

Opened it up and there was my new/used Lyman Great Plains Rifle with a 1-66 twist not the 1-60 as this is an older rifle. It was in great shape. So I took it down to the cleaning room and cleaned it. Then decided to check the fire channel. And then said... what the heck!!

Put up a target at 25 yards since I had no idea how the rifle shot. Took out some home cast roundball, Schuetzen 2f black powder, pillow tic, and Remington caps. Range finder reminded me I'd moved the bench at it said 28 yards. Amazing little machines these things.

For your viewing pleasure...

Anyway, I shot two rounds at 28 yards for starters. Gun fired perfect.

So I made an adjustment on how I looked over the sights and shot #3. Ok, a little more.

After I had my spot, I just kept blasting away. It shoots a little left for me, but I will drift that sight in a while.

Then I moved the target back to 50 yards and aimed at that little turkey in the corner of the target. I first held dead center on the little bird.

After seeing that I held to the right. The blue marks show my different POA.

So the gun sight needs to be slightly adjusted is all. And I cleaned that rifle up, and it sits on the rifle wall next to the Great Plains Hunter. Nice looking pair.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:28 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Beautiful gun and nice shooting . I'm sure glad you bought that gun,I was starting to weaken. the 1:66 is a better twist, I wish they hadn't changed it to a 1:60 . That's the same as my first muzzleloader I built from a kit 32 years ago. Congratulations

Old 09-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Love those GPR's.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

I don't recall a new rifle for Cayugad in some time. It's nice to see.

That's beautiful rifle by the way. Congrats on the new addition and nice shooting.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice looking rifle Cayugad. I still have a fondness for the sidelocks. My favorites are the T/C Hawkens and the Lyman GPRs and GPHs.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Dave,

Glad it found a good home!
Old 09-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Dutch it is a beautiful rifle. And I do think that will be a good shooter. Did you have better luck with the .495 or the .490 ball? My .54 Trade Rifle shoots a .535 that Semisane sent me with uncanny accuracy. I have a .50 Trade Rifle as well, so I might invest in another mold in .495 if these rifles like that. Although the .490 did load pretty stiff in the bore with a .018 patch.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,

I recall better luck with the .490. But I have to say that I have not shot the rifle in about 15 years! It is a shame I know. Glad you will put it to good use. I would love to hear that you take a deer with it some day.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

My .50's and .54's shot better with the .495 and .535 balls. The problem was I had to use .010 patches that blew out too easy. A wad would help the problem, but I didn't like the extra step in loading.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,
Great look'n rifle and it appears to be a shooter to boot.

V/r
Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.