Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Off topic, I think I need a vacation >

Off topic, I think I need a vacation

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off topic, I think I need a vacation

Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Off topic, I think I need a vacation

Thinking back over the last few times I been to the range. Forgetting items at home and there.

I need a good vacation. A wild boar in fl sounds nice with out using car sounds really nice right now
Old 07-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

A weekend in my hooch at the hunting lease is a mini vacation for me, even if it's a work weekend. (Yeah, retired guys need vacations too.)

Old 07-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

That is one reason when I retired, I sold my huge old house in the city and purchased a farm in the middle of the woods. I decided I wanted to go camping and never come home. So far its been working real good. I have woods to wander in, a private shooting range outside my back door, a lake with in walking distance of my house, I mean.. this is being on vacation and just never going home.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Spike

Semisane,

That's a pretty sweet hangout you have there. Do you have some bunks in the building? Looks like a good water system. I'd like to build something like that some day. Generator powered?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

that looks cool semi.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by FordManF150
Semisane,

That's a pretty sweet hangout you have there. Do you have some bunks in the building? Looks like a good water system. I'd like to build something like that some day. Generator powered?
We have electric power to our campground FordMan, but not water. To hook up to the Parish water system we would have to put in an expensive waste treatment plant. So we capture rain water for general washing and showers. I use the elevated barrel seen in the picture for running potable water into my hooch. When it runs low I go to a nearby farm and fill a plastic drum in the bed of my truck with drinkable water, then pump it into my tower.

The hooch is only 8' by 8'. It has a regular twin bed along the left hand wall and an eight foot counter along the right hand wall, with a three foot aisle between the two. There's an apartment fridge under the counter, a small bar sink in the center of the counter, a microwave and coffee maker on the far left end of the counter, and a two burner electric hotplate on the far right. There's a little AC unit mounted on the rear wall and an electric oil heater between the foot of the bed and the front wall. The 17" flat screen TV is mounted over the door and is easily viewed from the bed or a folding lawn chair placed in the aisle. Yes, it is sweet. And it's amazing how little space one needs to get along quite comfortably.

That rusty tin box you see to the right of the hooch was a shower. I've since upgraded it to a nicer plywood box with a gravity flow system. It has a 55 gallon water barrel on top that's used to fill a five gallon auxillary tank. The water in the small tank is heated by a regular 110 volt water heater coil mounted inside, with the power cord hanging outside. You just plug it in when you're ready for a shower, and unplug it when the thermometer on the five gallon tank hits around 105 degrees. Life is good when you have a hot shower after cleaning a deer.

We've had this lease for 15 years now. It's 900 acres of pine tree plantation. There are ten guys in the club. Each has his own place, either a small structure like mine or a camping trailer.

Last edited by Semisane; 07-06-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you can get truck sleepers in that size, which is convenient if you have a long wheelbase daycab you wanted to trick
Old 07-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

No old office chairs turned away at Semi's place.