Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Every Had One of Those Days? >

Every Had One of Those Days?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Every Had One of Those Days?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Every Had One of Those Days?

And I mean this in a good way.

Today was beautiful. 50 degrees and sunny, so no jackets needed. I had the yard all cleaned up and decided to shoot. So I set out a target and thought I was at 50 yards.. but I have been moving my bench and such around so much lately, I really was not sure. Well I was wrong. Three readings with a new battery in the range finder said. 44 yards. OK.. good enough!!

The rifle was a Knight LK-II . This is a 50 caliber with a 1-28 twist and a 22 inch barrel. The ignition system is only a #11 cap system and I never saw the need to change it. I'd spent a whopping $19.99 for the 2.5x20mm Simmons Prosport scope. But the little scope has never let me down. The rifle is sighted in on a high bull at 35 yards. That is because the shots in my woods would never be over 50 unless you're shooting down the boundary lines.

So I decided to shoot 80 grains of Goex 3f. A favorite powder of this rifle. And I picked MMP HPH 24 sabots for the rifle. And its favorite ammo the .452 Hornady XTP 300 grain bullet. I never shot a deer yet with this load but always figured it would really work well on them.

Well here is a ten shot group...

If it had not been for shot #4 that would have been some groups wouldn't you say. Now granted it was 44 yards. And the rifle does have a 2.5x scope. But for me that's not bad. And the group actually only started to open after shot #6. Other then #4 that is.. other wise it was a nasty looking hole.

Then I wanted to see if the rifle would shoot 350 grain Hornady FPB conicals. First off they loaded like a dream. I stuck with the 80 grains of Goex 3F powder.

I first swabbed the barrel CLEAN as in a white clean patch clean. Let it dry. And turned the target over. I was earlier sighting in a .22 caliber rifle one afternoon at 50 yards. That is the .22 holes you see. But I was sure I could see the difference in the size of the holes.

Well shot #1 was low. Not sure why. Shots 2&3 looked pretty good. I shot a 4th shot but can not swear right where it is.. so I did not claim it. BUT I believe it is right on top of #3 but like I said.. can't be sure. But the rifle does seem to shoot them well. With a minor scope adjustment that would be a good hunting load. If the FPB is a good hunting bullet.

So over all it was a great day on the range. Nice to see one of them come along like that.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

That'll do nicely. My day didn't go so well. I am sure you will read my post.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

That group with the Hornady's is impressive even if it is at short range. And you can't ignore the terminal performance of an XTP! Devastating to say the least.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

HooWheee! Nine out of ten shots into less than an inch. It doesn't get any better than that.

Great shooting Cayugad. That gun & load is what I call a "neck shooter".
Old 04-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Why it threw the one shot, I have no idea. But I'm happy with a group like that. Think if the rifle had a great scope. That rifle is my tree stand rifle. Its a great walking around rifle too.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Good shooting, but 50 degrees is coat weather where I live.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Shoot Dave! You always shoot goot!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Good shootin, Its always fun to hear how a a southerner would be chilly in 50 degrees but a person up north is thinking spring is in full bloom at 50. I took a class in Chicago years ago and when it hit the 50 s in March the woman were on the downtown decks of their condos wearing bikinis.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Very nice shooting