Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 BLACKPOWDER HELP!!!! >

BLACKPOWDER HELP!!!!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BLACKPOWDER HELP!!!!

Old 08-25-2003, 07:40 PM

Default BLACKPOWDER HELP!!!!

Sup guys, I have somewhat of a dilemma. My grandfather has disliked the idea of blackpowder hunting for a while but once I pointed out the advantages to him he seemed to like the idea, so he is looking to buy a rifle, He asked me to help him search for a good gun because he doesnt know much about it. My question is is what are some good guns that arent too expensive ( possibly 300-400' s) if there are none for this range than please point out others. He needs a scope too.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!
-hotgunner
Old 08-25-2003, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BLACKPOWDER HELP!!!!

A number of honest reviews are posted at http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2d.rifles.htm and specific recommendations are made in this article http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_muzzleloaders.htm

There are a few I would add to that list depending on the spending level. If he must use a scope, you should certainly take ease of scope mounting into consideration. The 320 Austin & Halleck can be had right in that price range (see D&R Sports at http://64.224.40.78/miva/merchant.mv ).
Old 08-25-2003, 08:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I am guessing that in-lines are all right. You did not mention any restrictions on the type of muzzleloader needed. Seeing the range you mentioned, there are some nice Knight in-line rifles on sale right now. A .50 caliber Wolverine I believe was going for around $199.00. Add a scope to that and the necessary stuff to get shooting and you would be around the $300.00+ range. There are other less expensive loaders that would do you just fine, but I alway felt that you should buy the most gun you can afford. A Knight rifle is really a good shooter according to other board authors. I personally do not own one. Others on this board I am sure will suggest some others. They can also tell you sights where different ones can be looked at and purchased. In the mean time, start reading some of the back postings, and also start looking at the different rifles out there. You will have a lot of choices and decisions to make other then... looking for a good gun. What ever you decide, I am sure your Grandfather and you will have a lot of fun with this sport.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Hotgunner 21 ,
check out the Traditions line , they make a nice ml for very little . I own 3 of them , 2 were $150 in inline . They also make a fine line of repro sidelocks that I' m sure your grandfather would love . [8D]
Old 08-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

if he has been against muzzleloaders in the past, then i bet he won' t want a side hammer. get him something that takes a 209 primer ignition. you can' t go wrong with a knight, they are the best
Old 08-27-2003, 07:49 AM

For the price you listed any ML in that range would be a great gun. Any of hte Knights and TCs would be a great choice.

I really prefer the traditional route, so my experiance with in-lines is very limited, but I decided to give the in-line craze a try a few years ago but couldn' t give up my love for pre-1900 guns. I came across the Cabelas Rolling block muzzleloader. This gun is made by Pedersoli, and is basically modelled after the old Remington breech loading rolling block, but Pedersoli added a breech plug. The action is still a rolling block, but you load it from the front, and drop a 209 primer on the rear. It' s tapped for a scope, if you so desire. I know this gun isn' t for everyone, but I' ve been very happy with mine. It is easily my most accurate, least load picky ML I have.

Just wanted to give you one more option.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:32 PM

how about the TC Omega? is it good?
Old 08-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

" how about the TC Omega? is it good?"
----------------------------------------------------

Here' s how I rate the top inlines

1) Knight Disc Elite
2) T/C Encore
3) Austin & Halleck 420
4) White M-98 45
5) T/C Omega
6) Savage ML10-II
7) Knight Disc Extreme

Any one of these would be a really nice choice. Just my opinion...