Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Hex Breechplug Modification >

CVA Hex Breechplug Modification

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Hex Breechplug Modification

Old 02-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default CVA Hex Breechplug Modification

Last night i installed a vent liner into a CVA hex head breech plug. The job was not done the way i have done dozens and dozens of others. In this case an attempt was made to install a vent liner using minimal tools. The method used was a first for me. A machinist would not do the installation in this fashion. A pianist might or perhaps a pharmacist, or carpenter would use this method. First step was to make some sort of a jig to hold the plug centered under the drill press. This block of wood has a mortice chiseled into it so a 12mm wrench can be used to keep the breech plug from spinning.

The block was clamped to the drill press, and a 5/8" hole drilled.

Then the plug was dropped into the hole, a 5/32" was chucked, lube was applied, and a 5/32" hole was drilled all the way through the plug.

Then the 5/32" drill was replaced by a # 4 1/2 eighty two degree center drill; the drill was lowered until it contacted the plug, and the depth gauge on the drill press set to 3/8".

The center drill then was used to drill a 3/8" diameter hole 3/8" deep in the end of the breech plug.

The belts were disconnected on the drill press, the center drill removed, and a 10-32 tap was chucked.

The vent to be installed has about 6 thread.

The chuck was marked with the blue line so rotations could be counted whilst threading the plug. Eight rotations were made to insure the vent would fully seat.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Beautiful presentation Ron ,that's just about the setup I used when I did one of mine after checking out your first tutorial on how to do the CVA plug. But I'm still using the plug you sent me one of the first plugs you had made and haven't had to try my homemade yet, and it doesn't seem like I'll have to any time soon.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great post Ron. Well done!
Old 11-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Spike

Default cva BP

I was wondering if you have any breech plugs for sale for a cva optima with the hex head. Im looking for one of your custom plugs for the blackhorn 209
Old 11-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

No.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nicely don Ron. I enjoy looking at post like this.
Ever since I got my drill press I'm more inclined to do simply jobs now rather than going to a gunsmith an pay to have it done.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's amazing what can be accomplished with even a small bench top drill press like my little Ryobi.

When you have nothing better to do, go to YouTube and do a search on "drill press tricks & tips".
Old 11-10-2016, 04:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very well done Ron.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Over the years that have passed since this thread was posted, dozens of breech plugs have been modified. One thing changed, due to ease of acquisition, from the method described, is using a 3/8" 82 degree spotting drill instead of the # 4 1/2 center drill.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Spike

Default Were i purchase the vents for this modification.

I can do the work but need to know were to by the vents or who makes them i would need mutiple vents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.