Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bear Grease

Old 01-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I got a couple dozen PR Bullets Ultimate 1 Keith 300 gr lubed up and ready to go.

I think I'll run them head to head with some Buffalo Ball-ets.

and see what happens. Pr recommended load is 100gr 3f Goex so that'll be the load in Goex.

Stand by.

HA
Old 01-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Angry

Originally Posted by HuntAway
Well, I stopped at the health food store on my way home from work this evening. They were the only one around who had any beeswax. (got to do some internet shopping for some cheaper wax) .
So I picked up a 1/3 pound block added about the same of rendered bear fat and Voila! my very first bullet / patch lube.

Thanks for your help fella's!!!

HA
MMMMMM that sure looks yummy!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

bronko,

I figure if I ever get lost and have a tin of bullet lube on me I'll be good for a couple of days. Must be a lot of calories in bear fat.

HA
Old 01-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gathered up the Lyman Sisters for a shoot. Betsy is the long legged one and Shirley the shorter but quick tempered little sister.

It is snowing like a bugger so it was a short shoot. It's a real pain when it's snowing or raining with the flintlocks.

I'm not going to post any targets because both rifles were all over he!!'s half acre today. They shot high. They shot low. They shot left. They shot right. Absolutely brutal.

I think I've got some lead for melting into round ball.

The lube worked great on the bullets. Fouling was soft and loading was easy with no swabbing required. Since the bullets

didn't shoot worth a hoot the bullet lube is now patch lube.

On a side note. I rubbed a cotton ball in the lube last night and rolled it up like a wick. It burned great with no smell. So there's another use for it. Emergency fire starter.

HA
Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

The #11 metal tins that caps come in... I take three cotton balls and dip them in soft lube and then put them in those tins. They are an emergency candle, easy to carry, and all you do is light one, and have an instant fire. I keep one in the possible bag, one in the glove box of the truck and one in the tackle box in the boat. With matches sealed in the vacuum sealer plastic, I can always have a fire if I need one.

Very nice looking rifles there. And you're so right about sitting at a bench and shooting when it is snowing. I was doing that last week, and you have to be so careful to wipe the flint off and put the pan powder in ASAP.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Banned

Man that is waaaay to much lube! You just need a thin skim of lube to do the job.

Originally Posted by HuntAway
Well I got a couple dozen PR Bullets Ultimate 1 Keith 300 gr lubed up and ready to go.

I think I'll run them head to head with some Buffalo Ball-ets.

and see what happens. Pr recommended load is 100gr 3f Goex so that'll be the load in Goex.

Stand by.

HA
Old 01-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

MD,
Yep, I found that out when I was loading them. Had to use some paper towel to clean up my muzzle. Note to file.

Cayugad,
Good idea. They do burn great.

Still snowing too!

Now to get a round ball mould or two.

HA