Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hawkin

Old 12-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default hawkin

I've had one for awhile.now and never shot it. Any hints as to what i shor shoot out of it?.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Who made it?

btw..Hawken.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

yeah mr! thats Hawken. Git'r right or git rid'uh'er
Old 12-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Many of the newer Hawken rifles had a 1-48 twist but there are some strange ones out there also. And they normally shoot a patched round ball real good. I would first identify the twist of the rifle. then if it is a 1-48 or 1-66 load 80 grains of 2f Pyrodex Rs powder and a .015 patched roundball and see how well it shoots at 25 yards. Good luck with your rifle.

Also I commonly misspell the word Hawken as Hawkins. But I never let that bother me. Neither should you. Many people use the word Hawkins to describe their rifles.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

It's a t/c hawken
Old 12-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Are parched round balls my only option? Pyrodex my only option?
Old 12-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

full bore conicals, like great plains, home cast lee reals, Buffalo bullets, and a few others.

I have not work whole lot of work with sabots out of traditional rifles. some others have.

I have tried real black powder, triple 7, pyrodex rs, and pyrodex p have been used in my hawken (hawkins)

I personally like 3f powders in sidelocks.

Last edited by corey012778; 12-17-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Dominant Buck

In a percussion model, you can use, IN LOOSE ONLY FORM... American Pioneer Powder, Triple Seven, Pyrodex RS, Pyrodex P, Jim Shockey Gold 2&3f, Pinnacle, Goex, or any black powder for that matter, just about any powder out there EXCEPT Blackhorn 209.

As for projectiles, you can shoot round ball, conical bullets, ball-ets, even sabots. I shoot a 250 grain XTP out of my Hawkens rifle with good accuracy. You can shoot powerbelts, Thors, and any of the other conicals on the market like maxi ball, maxi hunter, etc. Some will shoot better then others.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

What caliber, as T/C Hawken Rifles could be had in .45, .50,.54 caliber? You could also order a .58 caliber through the T/C Custom Shop.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by outdoorsmen
Are parched round balls my only option? Pyrodex my only option?
As was said already the PRB is not your only option, but they are usually very accurate out of the TC Hawken.

I assume by where you live you're hunting whitetails? The PRB will be good out to 100yds safely if it's a .50 cal. A .54 cal another 25 yds or so.

The heavy conicals will have more energy, but the recoil is higher, and i've never found them to be as accurate as a PRB.

You can use all the BP substitutes, and of course real black powder. (my favorite). You don't seem to like Pyrodex, but it's a good consistent powder for sidelocks like yours. I would use the Pyrodex P if you plan to use it. It has a little more power than the Pyrodex RS, and seems to ignite easier. After you pour the powder down the barrel.........lean it in the direction of the hammer/cap, and give the barrel a few taps. It will help get the powder in the breech channel. Make sure the hammer is at half cock when you do this so the air will push out. Do this no matter what powder you use.

Try 80 gr of Pyro P with a PRB to start. Add 5gr at a time until you lose accuracy. Then go back 5gr. That will be your hunting load. Don't go over 110gr. Remington #11 caps work the best for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.