HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Blackhorn 209 VS Pyrodex RS Pellets in a Knight Disc (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/353332-blackhorn-209-vs-pyrodex-rs-pellets-knight-disc.html)

cayugad 11-12-2011 11:45 AM

Blackhorn 209 VS Pyrodex RS Pellets in a Knight Disc

I was finally able to get a large supply of BlackHorn 209 in stock at the house. Then realized I only have two rifles that actually shoot the stuff. I might have to work on that aspect. But I have also purchased some Pyrodex RS 50 grain pellets.

I have always claimed that Pyrodex can shoot as well as any powder. And I understand the following of Blackhorn 209 shooters. And I will now admit this.. I know the rifle I was shooting today likes 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. It is my Knight Disc (original model) with a lehigh conversion. The rifle wears a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm (which I believe is a great scope). But I never shot Blackhorn 209 with the new lehigh conversion in the rifle. Before it was with the orange primer jackets and it shot great.

I decided to shoot group for group Pyrodex Pellets which I have not shot in the disc VS blackhorn 209 that I briefly shot in the rifle. Checking my notes I see that the rifle is sighted in with a 300 grain .452 Hornady XTP and a MMP HPH-24. The card lists 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. And also 90 grains of BlackHorn 209 was made note of. I was glad that I had once made note of some blackhorn information with this rifle.

The target was set up. The range finder said 52 yards. That would be fine. I was using Winchester W209 primers to set the works off. Since Blackhorn 209 might like a light bullet better then the heavy 300 grain XTPs I decided to also shoot some .400 diameter 200 grain Shockwaves with the blue MMP sabots as well, to let the rifle powders work side by side.

I prepared the rifle by swabbing the bore with alcohol and then dry patched it. I also popped two primers through it to get it ready to shoot. I was kind of excited to be shooting the Black Horn 209 again and decided to let that have the honors of going first.

I loaded the 90 grains and a 200 grain shockwave, squeezed the trigger and the sound was just this horrible fizzle, small puffs of smoke and nothing !! No BOOM!! I was heart broke.

The rifle did push the 200 grain shockwave somewhere down range I thought, but decided to check. But wanting to make sure the bore was clear.. I disassembled the rifle, and checked the bore. Filthy and empty. So I took some solvent and swabbed the bore clean again. I cleaned the breech plug. And then put the rifle back together. I popped two primers, loaded up and shot this five shot group without swabbing.

Ignition was perfect for the five shots (after the first disappointment). So not wanting to clean the rifle yet. I loaded up the 300 grain Hornady XTPs with the MMP 24 sabots. I then shot the next group... note the numbers.

That's right.. #4 was another fizzle poof!! No Bang. That bullet i heard thump the hard ground down range. So I popped two primers to blow out what ever might be in the bore.. and shot #5 and #6. Not the worst groups I ever shot. But those two POOFS!! really did bother me. I mean what if that had been a deer and my first shot goes POOF. Although I believe the first shot was caused because I did not take the rifle apart and swab the bore clean with solvent. But #4 was a real puzzle. No reason why it was shooting so well and then just did not go off.

So I took the rifle apart, and with solvent cleaned the rifle on the bench. I dried the bore and actually got a clean white patch before I loaded the rifle to test the Pyrodex pellets.

So to be fair I started the Pyrodex RS pellet test with the 200 grain Shockwaves.

Shot #1 hitting the bull surprised me. But remember, this bore was clean and dry.. no oil what so ever. The next four were actually grouping as I suspected they might.. with the pellets. I was swabbing between shots with the Simple Green and then dry patches.

I then broke out the 300 grain Hornady XTPs to try with the pellets. Here is where it got exciting.

As I sat at the bench looking through the scope shot after shot, I could not believe what this rifle was doing with these pellets..

I would take a group like that any day of the week. 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets and 300 grain XTPs might be a darn good hunting load.

Now I will admit.. the Blackhorn charge might need some tweaking and I intend to do that. But in a shot to shot comparison so far... Pyrodex is looking pretty good.

Would you tweak the BH up or down?

flounder33 11-12-2011 12:01 PM

Good groups Dave. I wonder why the fizzle poofs with the Blackhorn? That would be a bummer on a nice deer.
I haven't shot much BH 209 at all but my tendency would be to increase the volume.

Muley Hunter 11-12-2011 12:06 PM

Up, and make sure the flame channel is clear. It's way more important to getting good ignition than the bore. Also, try some CCI 209M primers.

cayugad 11-12-2011 12:14 PM

The only primers in my neck of the woods are Winchester W209 or Remington Kleene Bore primers. So I will have to stick with Winchester. I don't think it was a clogged breech plug. Unless they clog on Blackhorn after six shots. And if that's the case I have some Blackhorn to sell.

I will try the charges up. But this rifle only has a 24 inch barrel so I am guessing 120 would be a max load. What size drill bit to I have to get to clean the flash channel again?

Muley Hunter 11-12-2011 12:19 PM

It's being clogged by the primers. I would use a hotter primer.

It's basically a smokeless powder. You can't treat it like BP. The Pyro will shoot all day with a clogged flash channel.

Muley Hunter 11-12-2011 12:21 PM

Don't you have an Omega?

donjose 11-12-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by cayugad (Post 3874916)
What size drill bit to I have to get to clean the flash channel again?

5/32" drill bit

Man those pellets looks pretty good to me but remember pellets arent very accurate :hail:

Muley Hunter 11-12-2011 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by donjose (Post 3874920)
5/32" drill bit

Man those pellets looks pretty good to me but remember pellets arent very accurate :hail:

I wouldn't say that. When an elk craps the pellets land in a nice group.

donjose 11-12-2011 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3874925)
I wouldn't say that. When an elk craps the pellets land in a nice group.

True very True,

I was being a smart azz when I said pellets cant shoot

donjose 11-12-2011 12:49 PM

I am sure you know this Dave but compress the load and you need a tight fitting sabot and I think your problems will go away.............