Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Blackhorn 209 VS Pyrodex RS Pellets in a Knight Disc >

Blackhorn 209 VS Pyrodex RS Pellets in a Knight Disc

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackhorn 209 VS Pyrodex RS Pellets in a Knight Disc

Old 11-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Don't you have an Omega?
Nope... never saw the need for one. I have a Black Diamond XR. Same barrel but different action.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by donjose
I am sure you know this Dave but compress the load and you need a tight fitting sabot and I think your problems will go away.............

I was shooting a MMP HPH-24. I fear if I go to a MMP HPH-12 it will be too tight. And impossible to load. But I will try to see if I can force some down the barrel. And I was using a good T handle stainless steel woodgoat range rod and really giving them a good press. Maybe that is what I forgot to do on that second POOF, but I was sure I had compressed it good.

Whitetail deer make nice orderly pellets too. So do rabbits.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Spike

Blackhorn needs a good tight sabot or it will just go poof have the same problem with my night krb7 can't shoot any so called easy load sabot bullet combos or else it will just go poof thats even with the cci mag primers
Old 11-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Banned

vey surprised its hang firing with the lehigh plug. I shoot powerbelts which load very easily and bh209 does perfect. Got to me something with either plug fouling in the flash channel or just needs the cci mag primers.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by donjose
True very True,

I was being a smart azz when I said pellets cant shoot
I have no problem recognizing sarcasm. I thought my answer to it was good.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was not happy to hear about your two "fizzing" rounds.

I have had two range sessions with the BH-209 so far. And I have not expereinced any "fizzles" yet. I also use W-209's as welll. I also bought one of the conversions for my Knight LRH so I din't have to use the red jackets.

So far so GREAT with the BH powder for me. The rifle is shooting clover leaf patterns at 50 yards(farthest I have been able to shoot so far). With no misfires, and lots of shooting without cleaning, just a patch or two while shooting.

I know you do things right, so I am disappointed in hearing about the fizzles.

What do you think caused the "Fizzles"?? You must have some theory??

Good shooting, Tom.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Dominant Buck

The first fizzle MIGHT have been caused by the way I prepared the rifle. I swabbed with alcohol to remove any oil in the bore. Maybe I did not get all the oil out of the bore. But I did pop two primers into a dry patch before I loaded. Next time I will be even more careful.

The second fizzle I have no idea. Everything was shooting fine. All the loading was fine. And after the second happened, I did not clean out the rifle because I was sure that the projectile did exit the bore because I heard it. And I blew down the bore with my little gadget and could hear air pass through the breech plug.

Also if you notice the target.. the first three hits before the second fizzle were very tight. The fizzle happened. Then the next two were not quite as tight as the first three. So maybe the fizzle caused the bore to get extra dirty.

Would it hurt to swab the bore with solvent, while shooting Blackhorn 209 if you have concerns of fouling in the bore? The first solvent patch comes out FILTHY!! I noticed when I cleaned for the pellets.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of the advantages is you don't have to swab with BH 209, and you don't lose accuracy. All my guns have shot terrible with a clean bore.

My first shot will be 6" high and off line with a clean bore. After that is settles down and will group the same with as much as 50 shots with no swabbing. It actually starts to load easier too.

Do not think of the fouling in the barrel as any other sub or BP. It's doing no harm.

The secret to consistent ignition and groups is in the BP and primer.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I have no problem recognizing sarcasm. I thought my answer to it was good.

Yep was a great answer, I started to choke on my Tea when I read it
Old 11-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
The first fizzle MIGHT have been caused by the way I prepared the rifle. I swabbed with alcohol to remove any oil in the bore. Maybe I did not get all the oil out of the bore. But I did pop two primers into a dry patch before I loaded. Next time I will be even more careful.

The second fizzle I have no idea. Everything was shooting fine. All the loading was fine. And after the second happened, I did not clean out the rifle because I was sure that the projectile did exit the bore because I heard it. And I blew down the bore with my little gadget and could hear air pass through the breech plug.

Also if you notice the target.. the first three hits before the second fizzle were very tight. The fizzle happened. Then the next two were not quite as tight as the first three. So maybe the fizzle caused the bore to get extra dirty.

Would it hurt to swab the bore with solvent, while shooting Blackhorn 209 if you have concerns of fouling in the bore? The first solvent patch comes out FILTHY!! I noticed when I cleaned for the pellets.
Dave were you swabbing after every shot with the pellets on that tight group you shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.