Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

head space

Old 10-23-2011, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, i believe you do understand. When the action is put into battery, there is a fixed space for the primer to fit into. If this 'space' is larger than the primer, there usually will be blow by. If this space is 0.003" or so, smaller than the primer, the primer makes a seal, and there is no blow by. What i do is close the action on my primer of choice after i measure them. When they are measured after removing them from the rifle unfired, i want them to be some less than they were out of the box.

Making each rifle fit a certain primer is what i do. STS primer are a favorite of mine because they seem to be more uniform in size, compared to others.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Spike

Ron, do you put the shims around the breechplug by this i mean do you unscrew it and slide the shim around the plug and then tighten it back up.I would like to see a picture if possible also what is the inner and outer dia. of your shims.THANKS
Old 10-23-2011, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got you now. But wouldn't it just be easier to try different primers to see which one gives the best fit??

I tried different ones in my Knight rifle. Then I believe the bolt also applies a slight crush fit to the primer. So I get absolutely zero blowback without doing any shimming or such.

Does this make the crush fit a slightly better system?? I did notice that when the primer fit better I had less crushing of the primer. Still a slight crush, but not nearly as noticable as other primers.

I have Sabot Loader to thank for that little bit of information. He showed me exactly how to get my primer to fit perfectly. I was actually suprised that after 25 shots of Black Horn I had absolutely zero residue of any type anywhere on the bolt or any other part rear of the inside of the breech plug. I was very happy with that. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 10-23-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wind drift
Ron, do you put the shims around the breechplug by this i mean do you unscrew it and slide the shim around the plug and then tighten it back up.I would like to see a picture if possible also what is the inner and outer dia. of your shims.THANKS
These shim have nothing to do with the breech plug.

Pictured is the firing pin bushing from my Accura, with a shim along side. The shim need to fit over the threads which measure 0.306", and has to be smaller than the rim, which measure 0.384"
Old 10-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
I got you now. But wouldn't it just be easier to try different primers to see which one gives the best fit??
Indeed!!

However this doesn't always work. One of my Knight makes a perfect fit using W209, and as you describe has zero blow by, what i mean is zero blow by. The other Knight won't fit any primer made perfectly, and so far it is quite clean using the W209, but it isn't what one would say is zero blow by. Two of my Omega use W209 with a perfect fit; the other doesn't. For the odd Omega, i am using a modified breech plug that gives a nice crush to STS primer, but it cannot use W209 primer.

CVA rifle are made looser than Knight or TC, and to get a perfect fit with any primer, one needs to adjust the headspace by backing out the firing pin bushing, and shimming it.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The other Knight won't fit any primer made perfectly, and so far it is quite clean using the W209, but it isn't what one would say is zero blow by.

At first my Knight was also smashing or force fitting(with a little too much force) the 209's I was using. That is when SabotLoader taught me a trick about cleaning the rifle that completely changed the way the primers fit. Without any shims, just a drill and a good bore brush with some Butch's. Tom.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Spike

Ron i meant to say firing bushing i want to thank you for all the info. you have given us also i will e-mail max to see if he has the shims.Sabotloader thank you for the link but i do not think they have the size i need.Head0001 thanks for this thread i apolize for minor hijacking but one can learn alot from these fellas.THANKS
Old 10-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

MAX feeding off another ones info and cashing in on it... Doesnt surprise me. Thats one reason my forum was sealed off from guests. Have to register now to view.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
MAX feeding off another ones info and cashing in on it... Doesnt surprise me. Thats one reason my forum was sealed off from guests. Have to register now to view.
MD54 l'm not trying to be a smarta$$ but if you or anyone else have the shims i would like to buy some to try out.I have the optima and i will say again i really like this rifle.THANKS
Old 10-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default O-rings

Not trying to go off topic, but wouldn't the little rubber o-rings that were mentioned in a recent discussion (fitted around a primer) be easier and also work with BH-209? The pictures showed a very clean primer - I assume that that would keep enough gasses from escaping to make BH-209 work fine - right? I'm just saying that rather than take your firing pin assembly apart to adjust/shim it for every type of primer you want to use, just add a reusable o-ring around your primer and not risk losing parts or messing something up.

Pictures at bottom of page:
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ader-help.html

Last edited by donw; 10-23-2011 at 01:14 PM.