Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Omega Z5 Stock Modification >

Omega Z5 Stock Modification

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Z5 Stock Modification

Old 08-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Omega Z5 Stock Modification

The Omega was my first MZ and continues to be a favorite. One thing that has always bothered me is the poor balance as a result of the hollow stock. I was sitting around last spring thinking of ways to remedy the situation and thought I'd put caulk in to fill the stock.

Over the summer I've added 1/2 to 3/4" each week allowing for drying time between each application. It took about a tube and a half and probably added 1 lb. to the rifles over all weight. I'm very pleased with the feel and balance. I think I can take the caulk out if I ever wanted to do so but so far so good.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Josmund

I did basically the same thing... I filled a zip lock bag with some lead shot. Put that in the hollow stock. I tried different amounts until I got the feel I wanted.

Then I removed the bag and filled it with silicone caulk - zipped the bag shut squeezed the shot and silicone to get them mixed together - pushed the bag into the stock and let it dry. It form fit to the stock plus iwas able to remove it anytime I wanted.

Side benefit the stock is not a drum anymore...
Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

I have done the same thing to more or less take out the hollow sound when the stock hit something. I used packaging peanuts. I just kept working them in the stock until I couldn't get anymore in it, I had it packed. It took the hollow sound out and I was able to remove them if I wanted to. Worked great!!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

That looks like a great idea. On the rifle I sold MD I did the lead shot thing (but removed it before I sent it to him) just to add some weight to the rifle so the recoil was not so brutal. It seemed to not only remove the recoil to a degree but balanced the rifle out a little also.