Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Accura Headspace Issues >

Accura Headspace Issues

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accura Headspace Issues

Old 03-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

There is an interesting article by Russell Lynch in his blog at Max Muzzleloading. Apparently Western Powders has been trying to get CVA to redesign their breech plugs but they say the ignition problem is due to BH209 not their plugs design. I really do not think CVA is going to like his blog but I feel he is speaking the truth.

The article:
http://www.maxmuzzleloaderblog.com/
Old 03-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was going to post that.

It shows the bad attitude CVA has.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

It was so good I had to post it. Trust me and what others have told you about the Omega plug and BH209. You will have zero ignition issues.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Omega45
It was so good I had to post it. Trust me and what others have told you about the Omega plug and BH209. You will have zero ignition issues.
Well, IMO, that is not exactly true. You can plug an Omega/Encore plug just like any other breech plug, if you do not do your plug maintenance. It can start hang firing in as little as 8-10 shots with the hottest primers and heavier projectiles. Certainly not a magic number but in the right humidity along with other factors will have an effect on the number of shots you can get off.

The longer the projectile takes getting out the bore and the more pressure that BH creates the more blow back enters the flash channel of the plug.

The other fact that goes more along with what you might be addressing is that if you are a hunter or just an occasional shooter, the Omega/Encore factory plug is a winner. The only factory one that might be better is the flat faced Knight Vision NFPJ plug. In either case you still need to do the plug maintenance thing hand drilling the flash channel out.

Changes in the plug and the changes that I think you will see in the future can significantly delay a significant amount build up in the channel.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader,

I regularly decarbon my breech plug and make sure the flash hole is open. I am speaking from my personal experience that I have yet to have a misfire in any of the TC plugs. Breech plug maintenance is something I have found that a lot of shooters do not keep up on then blame the gun, powder and plug. Most shooters I have seen never decarboned the breechplug when switching from T7 to BH209. Some will argue the flash channel is not 1/8th because it is so carboned up they cannot get the bit to start. If you keep using the plug while carboned up then flame cutting will happen and you will loose heat to the charge. These are not things I have read I have personal experience with them.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is an interesting article by Russell Lynch in his blog at Max Muzzleloading. Apparently Western Powders has been trying to get CVA to redesign their breech plugs but they say the ignition problem is due to BH209 not their plugs design. I really do not think CVA is going to like his blog but I feel he is speaking the truth.

The article:
He is absolutely correct. CVA has the most recent quick release type breech plug design and has had more time than any other M/L company to perfect a BP design that is 100% reliable with all black powder subs.most importantly BH209 and failed miserably doing so.they are aware as everyone in this sport is, that BH209 is here to stay and steadily gaining a big share of the market.i personally would think that being able to advertise your product as being 100% reliable with all subs, most importantly BH209 would be a great way to increase sales.obviously they don't... Ray
Old 03-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Omega45

Correct to your last response...

But then again you are doing the BP maintenance... A lot of folks just making the switch from T7 to BH do not realize that the 'crud ring' has just moved from the bore to the breech plug.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

Nice work ron. I'm guessing you are a machinist by trade? I wouldn't even know where to begin on a project like that and certainly do not have the tools/ machines to do so, lol.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by quake
Nice work ron. I'm guessing you are a machinist by trade? I wouldn't even know where to begin on a project like that and certainly do not have the tools/ machines to do so, lol.
Me, i am just an old retired carpenter that likes to hunt. Working these breech plug was learned on these forum by asking questions and reading posts by sabotloader, Busta, Screwbolts and others. Yes, i do have tools/machines.

Purchasing supplies at a local machine shop, results in visiting, and questioning, and learning. Reading machining forum also has been of some help.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 03-05-2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

The article:
I am not sure i understand what is being written on this blog, but what i took from it was, he is advising folk not to use BH for hunting with their CVA rifle. He also writes he knows how to make the QRBP work with BH, and it is an easy fix, but he never divulges the secret.

Is he keeping the solution secret because he is concerned with litigation? Why doesn't he tell us how to successfully shoot BH in a CVA rifle?

Hopefully some of them folk that are embarking on a hunting trip with their CVA rifle, and wish to use BH, read these forum. It bothers me more than a little, that some folk still don't know what it takes to successfully use BH in a CVA rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.