Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
lyman deer stalker >

lyman deer stalker

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

lyman deer stalker

Old 01-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Spike

Default lyman deer stalker

I live in iowa and currently have a Knight Long Range Hunter and a Savage ml II. I have scopes on both and they work really well for hunting fields but i dont care for them hunting close in the timber. I area i hunt shots would be less than 50 yards so i am thinking about getting a lyman deerstalker in .54 percussion. I dont have any experience with those style of guns and my only concern is about hunting in the cold and snow. Is the deerstalker a good gun? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Its a great gun. And a .54 is the perfect caliber for that kind of timber. Good choice there. If you prepare that rifle before you load it, and keep it dry, it will go off. And a roundball out of that caliber will kill any of them Iowa monsters you want to shoot at. I have heard they also shoot conical bullets like the maxi ball real well. I have a Lyman Trade Rifle in the same caliber. I really love that rifle. A lot of people can say what they want about their inlines, but the them traditional rifles will do the job just as well.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is an excellent rifle only the Renegade is better and 54 is the best caliber for deer, The BC is good enough to have decent range and if you have it in a good PRB twist a 110 gr load of any good powder will make it reach out.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

I have two deerstalkers in 54cal one percussion AND ONE IN FLINTLOCK BOTH ARE
accurate and easy to carry I get good accuracy with sabot ant power belts. The Prb
and maxi balls shoot well also. I dont use much more than 80 to 90 gr because
of the shorter barrel
Old 01-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 50 caliber LH flintlock. And you are right. The Deerstalker is a great woods rifle. It is light, fast, and short for very quick handling in the woods. All these guys like the 54 caliber better than a 50. I might just have to buy a 54 and see what they are talking about. But they have to be right about it. Heck trajectory difference means nothing at 50 to 75 yards. And a bigger ball has got to be better for putting down that biggun. Good luck, you made a great choice. Tom.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

I also have a Lyman Deerstalker in .54 percussion. One of my most accurate traditional style ML's. I shoot a .530 PRB, with 90 grains Goex FFG. Never have ignition problems. Before initial loading, make sure ML is not already loaded, wipe bore, fire a couple of caps, wipe bore again, then load. You are good to go. I have the Lyman 57SML rear peep sight on mine. Nice set up.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Spike

I think to start off i am going the patch and round ball route. then once i get use to it i might try making my own patches and different loads.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

That is the way to start. I use a 54 cal sabot and 50 cal 350 rem pistol bullets they even shoot real good. I like 85 gr of 3fg black and PRB in my flint. I use APP 3f and t 7 in the Percussion. It seem the 85 grain load is very consistent and burns clean in the 24 inch barrel.