HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   lyman deer stalker (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/338875-lyman-deer-stalker.html)

SWIOWADEERHUNTER 01-22-2011 04:38 PM

lyman deer stalker

I live in iowa and currently have a Knight Long Range Hunter and a Savage ml II. I have scopes on both and they work really well for hunting fields but i dont care for them hunting close in the timber. I area i hunt shots would be less than 50 yards so i am thinking about getting a lyman deerstalker in .54 percussion. I dont have any experience with those style of guns and my only concern is about hunting in the cold and snow. Is the deerstalker a good gun? Any advice would be appreciated.

cayugad 01-22-2011 06:53 PM

Its a great gun. And a .54 is the perfect caliber for that kind of timber. Good choice there. If you prepare that rifle before you load it, and keep it dry, it will go off. And a roundball out of that caliber will kill any of them Iowa monsters you want to shoot at. I have heard they also shoot conical bullets like the maxi ball real well. I have a Lyman Trade Rifle in the same caliber. I really love that rifle. A lot of people can say what they want about their inlines, but the them traditional rifles will do the job just as well.

lemoyne 01-22-2011 07:05 PM

It is an excellent rifle only the Renegade is better and 54 is the best caliber for deer, The BC is good enough to have decent range and if you have it in a good PRB twist a 110 gr load of any good powder will make it reach out.

Johnmorris 01-22-2011 07:59 PM

I have two deerstalkers in 54cal one percussion AND ONE IN FLINTLOCK BOTH ARE
accurate and easy to carry I get good accuracy with sabot ant power belts. The Prb
and maxi balls shoot well also. I dont use much more than 80 to 90 gr because
of the shorter barrel

HEAD0001 01-22-2011 09:58 PM

I have a 50 caliber LH flintlock. And you are right. The Deerstalker is a great woods rifle. It is light, fast, and short for very quick handling in the woods. All these guys like the 54 caliber better than a 50. I might just have to buy a 54 and see what they are talking about. But they have to be right about it. Heck trajectory difference means nothing at 50 to 75 yards. And a bigger ball has got to be better for putting down that biggun. Good luck, you made a great choice. Tom.

Landngroove 01-23-2011 05:18 AM

I also have a Lyman Deerstalker in .54 percussion. One of my most accurate traditional style ML's. I shoot a .530 PRB, with 90 grains Goex FFG. Never have ignition problems. Before initial loading, make sure ML is not already loaded, wipe bore, fire a couple of caps, wipe bore again, then load. You are good to go. I have the Lyman 57SML rear peep sight on mine. Nice set up.

SWIOWADEERHUNTER 01-23-2011 06:53 AM

I think to start off i am going the patch and round ball route. then once i get use to it i might try making my own patches and different loads.

Johnmorris 01-23-2011 07:59 AM

That is the way to start. I use a 54 cal sabot and 50 cal 350 rem pistol bullets they even shoot real good. I like 85 gr of 3fg black and PRB in my flint. I use APP 3f and t 7 in the Percussion. It seem the 85 grain load is very consistent and burns clean in the 24 inch barrel.