Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight NWTF Shotgun >

Knight NWTF Shotgun

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight NWTF Shotgun

Old 12-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Spike

Default Knight NWTF Shotgun

I am getting thisa shotgun as a gift for Christmas. I have never owned a muzzleloading shotgun before. Am i able to use Triple 777 or Pyrodex pellets in it like i do my 50 cal rifle? What would be a good turkey hunting load? I am not into punishment or long range shots. If i cant kill a turkey at 30 yards I dont need to be hunting them.(i have used a H&R single shot 12ga for yrs so i am used to close range 1 shot kills)
Old 12-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

I got 2 of these and they will literally outshoot a standard 12 guage in my opinion. I took a bird at 62 yards with this gun. I shoot 110 grains of loose pyrodex select, this gun cannot shoot pellets as there are no shotgun pellets made. Load in your 110 grains, next I use a 12 guage plastic wad 3-1/2" and load that in the barrel empty, get another wad and fill that with #4 shot and then pour it into the gun, it will fill the one you set in there. Next ram it home and place an over shot card (cardboard or a piece of eggcarton cut to fit the bore, you ram that all the way down ontop of the lead so it keeps the lead from rolling out of the gun. The gun I have uses the red Knight discs to hold your primer, I use Remington Kleenbore 209 primers. Here is a photo of the gun using another load at 45 yards. The key to a tight group is pack it hard.

Here are a few other threads we had on here in years past.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...g-shotgun.html

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...a-shotgun.html

It is one hell of a shooter. Enjoy this gun it is a gem.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Dominant Buck

You will find that the turkey load KICKS LIKE A MULE! I am dead serious. I am not recoil sensitive but I shot ten rounds out of my TK2000 and that was all I wanted to shoot.

If you put in the 209 breech plug you can shoot pellets. Never load more then two pellets!! 100 grains of powder is a great plenty. When I turkey load I put 100 grains of loose Pyrodex RS a 3-1/4 hard plastic shot shell, fill that with 50/50 #5 & #6 shot and then an over the shot card. That load is good to 40 yards for me.

I read Gotbucks post and realize he is right. This thing can't shoot pellets unless you crush them and then you are defeating the purpose of the pellets. Listen to him. He told me the loads to use and he was dead on...

Last edited by cayugad; 12-16-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Yes it does kick but the key I found is really pull it tight to your shoulder and it feels like a push to me rather than a jolt when it goes off. I can tell you the first time I shot it I did have a bruise but it was my fault. I was so mad I reloaded and pulled it tight to shoot and it was not bad at all, some of my old centerfire 12 guages kicked harder than this will. I have gotten rid of all those centerfires and use nothing but muzzleloaders. Start out with small loads and see how she does. Have you shot a 30-06? It is something right around there in the recoil department, remember the load with a 3-1/2" wad can have 2 oz of lead you are shooting, the recoil has to go somewhere. You can get pads that fit the stock if it is too much, but mine is thick enough for me.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

The first time I shot mine WOW!! I could not believe it. It was shortly after that I was talking to Gotbuck and he told me his turkey load. So like the trusting person I started shooting them. They will make you think. Even when pulled tight to the shoulder.

Last fall I took mine grouse hunting but down loaded it a little. 80 grain of Pyrodex RS and then a 2-3/4 shot cup with #6 shot. It actually worked good if I could have hit the grouse. After my dog passed away, I have really had a hard time getting on grouse. I might have to get another dog. I miss grouse hunting.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Gotbuck
I got 2 of these and they will literally outshoot a standard 12 guage in my opinion. I took a bird at 62 yards with this gun. I shoot 110 grains of loose pyrodex select, this gun cannot shoot pellets as there are no shotgun pellets made. Load in your 110 grains, next I use a 12 guage plastic wad 3-1/2" and load that in the barrel empty, get another wad and fill that with #4 shot and then pour it into the gun, it will fill the one you set in there. Next ram it home and place an over shot card (cardboard or a piece of eggcarton cut to fit the bore, you ram that all the way down ontop of the lead so it keeps the lead from rolling out of the gun. The gun I have uses the red Knight discs to hold your primer, I use Remington Kleenbore 209 primers. Here is a photo of the gun using another load at 45 yards. The key to a tight group is pack it hard.

Here are a few other threads we had on here in years past.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...g-shotgun.html

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...a-shotgun.html

It is one hell of a shooter. Enjoy this gun it is a gem.
That's a really nice group you are getting there Gotbuck, I might do some exploring and look into getting one.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Spike

Default i lieke ugg ,i hope you like it too!

Your article is really a great, continue to update Well, maintain, refuel.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Fork Horn

jj2009, sounds more like you would be into the plasma rifle with 40 watt range or of course the uzi nine millimeter.......
Old 12-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Spike

The only shotgun i have seen out pattern my TK2000 is my 10ga BPS shooting 3 1/2" Heavyshot 13 through a wad wizard tube, that setup cost me twice what i gave for the TK.... i killed my first bird with the TK2000 (me and a friend doubled) ever since then i was hooked. I shoot 100 grains of 777 pushing a hull full of copper plated #4's.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Spike

Default Knight

I talked to a rep from Knight today. He said i need to use the shotcups in the shotgun. He said i can use 12ga 3 1/2" cups over 85gr of pyrodex. He said for me to cut out the over shot wads from styrofoam egg cartons. After i picked his brain for a minute come to find out he knows my cousin in Iowa (where Knight was originally). Thats when he started telling me what i can do instead of useing name brand items for the shotgun. I am pretty excited about getting this shotgun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.