Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
An Interesting Post from Western Powders >

An Interesting Post from Western Powders

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

An Interesting Post from Western Powders

Old 12-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default An Interesting Post from Western Powders

I think this thread posted by Hunter8282 on another forum says what a lot of you have been trying to say for a long time. It seems to go the opposite direction that one individual has often said who is trying very hard to follow the CVA company line, with his statement there is nothing wrong with the CVA BP.

I bring it over here as I think it is informational and there are certainly a lot of CVA owners over here that could benefit from the information.

regarding my CVA Optima and Blackhorn 209. I have not been able to get reliable ignition. I have also emailed CVA to voice my displeasure. I am curious to see what they have to say.

"Thank you Daryl, we are extremely disappointed with CVA and the QRBP. The design is not reliable with Blackhorn. Seems that some people have good luck, but we are receiving a large number of calls with your same problem. It is ridiculous that a consumer would have to search for a solution to make a brand new gun fire! CVA says they are going to look at this, but don’t know when or if they will have something available. They don’t want people modifying their guns and they seem to hate to admit they ran the car in the ditch.

I would appreciate if you would email or call CVA and tell them your disappointment. We understand they are just telling people to use White Hots. Hodgdon is aligned with CVA now, so that makes sense, but there are many like you that want Blackhorn….period. We have talked to a large number of people in recent weeks that want to use Blackhorn and are buying guns other than CVA because of the talk going around the Internet. I don’t think CVA’s bloggers will be able to stay ahead of this and it is going to cost them sales. Would also appreciate if you would post your disappointment on any blog sites you might visit.

Our guys in the lab are pretty high on the T/C Omega with the regular breech plug, not the quick release."
Keep on Plugging Ron... Western loves ya!!!

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-09-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I think this thread posted by Hunter8282 on another forum says what a lot of you have been trying to say for a long time. It seems to go the opposite direction that one individual has often said who is trying very hard to follow the CVA company line, with his statement there is nothing wrong with the CVA BP.

I bring it over here as I think it is informational and there are certainly a lot of CVA owners over here that could benefit from the information.
Hmmm,they didn' R&D there new breech plug for BH209 reliability?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

What make of rifles have had problems shooting BlackHorn 209. I don't mean from the open breech problems I had, because in reality the Black Diamond fired the stuff fine, it was just dangerous. But what I mean is, does CVA, Traditions, Remington, Knight, and Thompson Center have problems shooting off blackhorn.

I can tell you my Remington Genesis had no problems at all making the powder ignite. It worked perfect. Also my Knight Disc had no problems, even with the orange primer jackets. Although it plugged my breech plug.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have thought it seemed odd that a company would make a product that does not work well with a highly regarded and used component such as BH.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with ya'll. Why would a top dog in the blackpowder industry fail to test their firearms with one of the most popular powders on the market? I think CVA just rushed their products out there assuming that the BP's would ignite BH209. This is only speculation though. I have no idea.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a person who has shot the Bh209 but prefers other powders I would like to suggest another point of view and I am far from a CVA person.
It's kind of like which came first the chicken or the egg but some might think of it as "Why would a company put a substitute powder on the market that has well known ignition problems in a lot of the guns that are out there?"
It is pretty self serving for a powder company to say it is the gun maker's responsibility to make a gun that works for THEIR powder.
Just another point of view from me.
Art
Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flounder33
As a person who has shot the Bh209 but prefers other powders I would like to suggest another point of view and I am far from a CVA person.
It's kind of like which came first the chicken or the egg but some might think of it as "Why would a company put a substitute powder on the market that has well known ignition problems in a lot of the guns that are out there?"
It is pretty self serving for a powder company to say it is the gun maker's responsibility to make a gun that works for THEIR powder.
Just another point of view from me.
Art
Well said and thought out! I had some ignition problems and ended up having to using a hotter primer to solve my problem.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

But in all fairness to BlackHorn 209 from their stand point... when their powder first came out (I don't know if they still do), they ran quite a lot of warnings that their powder worked in this kind of breech plug, but not so well in that kind of breech plug. In this kind of action but not so well in that kind of action. Also they named primers that might give the BlackHorn 209 user problems.

So when a company like CVA was developing their rifles and breech plugs, they might have wanted to take note of what worked in regards to shooting off BlackHorn 209. After all it seems to have quite a following.

I have a question. The rifles with the "adapted" as in drilled out or even redesigned breech plugs.. did that effect the way they handled other powder like Triple Seven or Pyrodex RS?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Flounder,

You brought up a great point. I had never looked at it from that perspective before! Huh, well played sir!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
But in all fairness to BlackHorn 209 from their stand point... when their powder first came out (I don't know if they still do), they ran quite a lot of warnings that their powder worked in this kind of breech plug, but not so well in that kind of breech plug. In this kind of action but not so well in that kind of action. Also they named primers that might give the BlackHorn 209 user problems.

So when a company like CVA was developing their rifles and breech plugs, they might have wanted to take note of what worked in regards to shooting off BlackHorn 209. After all it seems to have quite a following.

I have a question. The rifles with the "adapted" as in drilled out or even redesigned breech plugs.. did that effect the way they handled other powder like Triple Seven or Pyrodex RS?
Fair enough Dave. I do think it would have been prudent for any manufacturer to keep in mind how popular this powder has become. On the other hand, I think the Blackhorn has ignition problems even in some of the breech plugs it said were "approved" for its use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.