Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Accura V2 vs T/C  Bonecollector vs Vortec UL >

Accura V2 vs T/C Bonecollector vs Vortec UL

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accura V2 vs T/C Bonecollector vs Vortec UL

Old 12-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Spike

Default Accura V2 vs T/C Bonecollector vs Vortec UL

Heres my dillema...I always shoot my deer during bow season but now have the itch to get out during late muzzleloader season here in Ohio. I have an old TC Renegade but wanna buy a new break action muzzleloader. The guns I have handled at the gun shops and have narrowed down to are the CVA Accura V2, the TC bone collector and the Traditions Vortek ultralight.....I like the feel on all three guns. At both shops two guys tried to talk me out of the Accura just based on it being a CVA. Everyone talks up the TC ,cuz its a TC and gets all the hype. I liked the looks and feel of the Vortek UL but nobody seems to know much about them.... some prices are Accura V2 Thumhole for $600 minus scope 500.Sportmans guide has one for 350. TC with scope700. Vortek camo UL thumhole camo for 460. Traditions also has some factory seconds Accelerators at very fair prices which is another option..... I also have a Bushnell scopechief 3x9 scope that I might use . Its the same scope I have on my .06. I want a good shootin gun that I might not use much but maybe if I go outta state would be ready to kill a deer at 150 -200 yards .......Go ahead , give some advice !!!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Banned

I like my V2. Only have a few loads for it worked up so far but plan on shooting a lot more here in a week or 2.

If you need a rifle thats known to shoot conicals, That V2 will get it done in a hurry.
My most accurate load has been 100gr Blackhorn209, winchester w209 primer and a 300gr Thor conical. WELL under 1" Groups @ 100 yards. This load is only 7" low at 200

This is my nephews friend, hes 15 and once i taught him how to load and how to just squeeze the trigger, his first 2 shots @ 100 were touching with 100gr blackhorn209 and a 245gr powerbelt. I should have left him at the bench because he pulled his 3rd shot due to the excitement LOL.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckeye guy
Heres my dillema...I always shoot my deer during bow season but now have the itch to get out during late muzzleloader season here in Ohio. I have an old TC Renegade but wanna buy a new break action muzzleloader. The guns I have handled at the gun shops and have narrowed down to are the CVA Accura V2, the TC bone collector and the Traditions Vortek ultralight.....I like the feel on all three guns. At both shops two guys tried to talk me out of the Accura just based on it being a CVA. Everyone talks up the TC ,cuz its a TC and gets all the hype. I liked the looks and feel of the Vortek UL but nobody seems to know much about them.... some prices are Accura V2 Thumhole for $600 minus scope 500.Sportmans guide has one for 350. TC with scope700. Vortek camo UL thumhole camo for 460. Traditions also has some factory seconds Accelerators at very fair prices which is another option..... I also have a Bushnell scopechief 3x9 scope that I might use . Its the same scope I have on my .06. I want a good shootin gun that I might not use much but maybe if I go outta state would be ready to kill a deer at 150 -200 yards .......Go ahead , give some advice !!!
Nobody wants to post for fear of starting a war lol!with the prices of the T/C and the CVA being so close. psstttt think american.i have a triumph and it was a out of the box tack driver. never owned a CVA,but everyone who has one seems to love them...in the end go with what feels best to you.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:53 AM
Typical Buck

I own 2 Triumph and IMO theres not a better mz on the market.
Having said that Traditions and Cva both make a fine shooting guns ...you can search old posts. You might want to wait and see what KNIGHT comes out with after the first of the year.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:25 AM
Typical Buck

My sos has the optima pro with the 29" berger barrel and let me tell you can shoot and may shoot a tad better then my t/c thunderhawk.I find the only drawback to the 29" berger barrel are the overall weight just a heavy gun.
I shot it and it seem no matter what you stick down the bore it will shoot.
I know he just order a accura from the sportsman guide for $269.00 thumb hole stock 27" berger barrel it should be here to day.
cva has come a long way with there improvement on there m/l
The tradition web site has a few vortex blems on sale if you want to check them out.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot CVA's, Accura and the new Optima and a T/C Triumph. I find very little difference in the CVA's and the Triumph except price. I bought the Triumph at Cabelas Bargain Cave for $279. Cabelas has several Traditions marked down in the bargain cave

Last edited by Roger46982; 12-03-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

Buckeye Guy,

You wrote:
"...some prices are Accura V2 Thumhole for $600 minus scope 500.Sportmans guide has one for 350. TC with scope700."

Knowing how well built and how well my CVA Accura shoots, I would buy the one from the Sportsman's Guide at $350; that's $150 less than the next closest price of $500! Especially, if you are not going to use it much. I'm not sure what your household finances are like, however, at my house even if I have the money to spend why spend it if you don't have to and still get what I want.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

My small collection of muzzle loader include a Triumph, an Accura, 2 Omega, and a V2.

I like the way the Triumph feel, and handles. The trigger is crisp, but just very slightly too heavy for me. It is accurate, and reliable with the powder i chose to use; BH209. The breech plug, i detest. I don't like the little parts, and pieces that go with it. When removing, it requires a wrench. The supplied wrench won't marry up, with a scope mounted. To remove my breech plug, i had to fabricate a wrench.

The Accura, and V2 feel kinda 'clunky' in my hands, but for some unknown reason, i like them. I like the way the action works. At one time there was a scope mounted on the Accura, and my my, it was accurate. The iron sights on the V2 work pretty good for me, and it seems the rifle is more accurate than i can see with them sights. The trigger on the V2 is light, but there is a very little creep, and grit.

It doesn't 'look' like the breech plug of the V2 will be 100% reliable with BH209, but it can be readily modified to work great. I know for a fact, the similar looking breech plug of the Accura isn't 100% reliable with BH209. The breech plug of the V2 is easy to install, and remove, using no tools. It also is individually fitted to each rifle, and there is a good seal between the plug and the barrel.

My Omega(s), have 'perfect' triggers. They shoulder nicely, and carry nicely. Not having a 'break action', they will never wear at the pivot. With a scope mounted, it is harder to insert, and remove a primer, than with a break open rifle. These rifle never hang fire, or misfire whilst using BH209. The breech plug of these rifle is my favorite; i can find no fault in their design.

If i could only have one rifle, it would be an Omega. Myself, i don't understand why i want a rifle with a breech plug that can be removed without tools, but if i did, i know of only one, the V2.

Between the V2, Bone Collector , and Traditions, i would choose the V2, and then i would install a vent liner in the breech plug first thing. Next year, after more experience with the V2, it is possible i won't like it any more; who knows?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Bone Collector is a bit pricey and the regular Triumph is just as good unless you intend to shoot loads with a great deal of recoil. With anything up to 120 gr of Blackhorn and a 300gr bullet I like the regular Triumph.
The Accura is a good gun, the best that CVA has ever come up with, so if that's what fits and feels right why that's what you need.
Shoulder the guns try the triggers get the one that's right for you, what fits and feels good is what will work best for you.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
My Omega(s), have 'perfect' triggers. They shoulder nicely, and carry nicely. Not having a 'break action', they will never wear at the pivot. With a scope mounted, it is harder to insert, and remove a primer, than with a break open rifle.
I have never owned a break action ML. I picked the Omega Z5 that I currently own based on 1) Price ($250 on sale, was on a tight budget) and 2) T/C‘s reputation. What I really wanted was a break open…like the Triumph, but the $$ wasn’t there at the time. After some newb adjustments (my first ML) and some break-in time, I can honestly say that I have no desire for another model of in-line muzzleloader (except for maybe the Savage, but ONLY because it can handle smokeless powder). I do not find that the primer is difficult to remove or insert while the Omega is scoped (I never hunt with thick gloves, I use a handwarmer muff instead), though I can see how a break-action would make it even easier. The potential trade-off is not worth it to me, though. The Omega is inherently more stable, thus, over time I believe that it will remain more accurate, and there are no extra parts to wear or break. Now that she is broken in, I can consistently shoot 1” groups at 100 yards, and I haven’t even fooled around with working up loads all that much, especially compared to some of the (less sane) gurus around here.

Two complaints about the Omega Z5:

The comb on the Omega standard stock is TOO LOW for use with a scope. Seems the gun was designed to be used with iron sights, as, once you mount the scope, you have to make a “chin weld” instead of a proper cheek weld. There are a couple of things you can do (if that kind of thing even bothers you…it DOES me). One, you could forget the standard stock and go with a thumbhole model. The thumbhole stocks have a higher comb (comparable to the Triumph), which allow a proper cheek weld when scoped. I personally do not like the feel of a thumbhole stock, but obviously a lot of people love it. The second thing you could do is to buy a comb riser, which is what I did. Blackhawk makes one for around $25, and I am completely happy with it. Though it ties onto the stock, it is very, very sturdy and is easy to remove if I want to go back to using iron sights. Here is a pic:

The other thing I don’t like about the Omega Z5 is that the blued barrel seems incredibly susceptible to rust, MUCH more than any other blued firearm I own. In fact, I have never had any of my guns show rust exteriorly at any point, and the Z5 is my newest gun. I am not going to sell it because of this, but after the season I will apply Ultra Gun Shield to all exterior parts, and this should alleviate the problem. Although I do not know, I would assume that the stainless or “weatherguard” barrels do not have the same issues with rust.

Sorry for the long reply…didn’t mean for it to go this long. And yes, I know you asked about break actions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.