Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
When swabbing at the range do you use a brush? >

When swabbing at the range do you use a brush?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

When swabbing at the range do you use a brush?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default When swabbing at the range do you use a brush?

I was doing some shooting at a range the other week instead of my usual shooting on our land. Anyway, I had someone come up to me as I was swabbing my barrel with alcohol and tell me some story about how he used to do that, and had someone tell him that he was only making it worse. He claims that the plastic from the sabots gets melted and in the rifling and if you just try to swab the barrel that it will push the plastic further into the rifling. So he claimed that I needed to use my brush, but then he went on to tell me that he now just shoots it and worries about swabbing when he gets home. So what do you guys do? Do you use a brush? I could tell some of his story didn't sound exactly right, but I wasn't sure if the whole thing was bs or not.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

just alcohol or windex followed by an dry patch.

brush it out when I to my cleaning at home.

Last edited by corey012778; 10-17-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just Windex Swab between shots, I like a (Fouled Bore) when shooting, it's so much more Accurate, using a Brush would take too much out and put me back to step one.
Now if you do A-Lot of Shooting at the Range, then mabey after a bunch of shots a quick Brush down followed by a Patch or two would be good.
If what your now during works and your hitting where you want then just do what works for you.
(BP)
Old 10-18-2010, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put a brush in my rifle one time and one time only. When I first buy a rifle(any rifle) I give the barrel a good lapping. Then I never put a brush in any of my barrels again. FOr MZ's a jag and a patch will clean a barrel every time. No need for a brush. Tom.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:51 AM
Dominant Buck

The plastic from the sabots these days are pretty hard material. I seriously doubt if they are melting in the rifle or after a long day of shooting you'd notice the plastic. I swab with a lightly damp patch. I use a number of different swab solutions. What ever the mood suits me.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
The plastic from the sabots these days are pretty hard material. I seriously doubt if they are melting in the rifle or after a long day of shooting you'd notice the plastic. I swab with a lightly damp patch. I use a number of different swab solutions. What ever the mood suits me.
Agreed:I don't use a brush it just adds ware to the square corners on the rifling which is what holds on to the sabot.
I have never had a problem with plastic in the barrel and have been shooting sabots ever since they became commercially available.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:28 AM
mountaineer magic

I never use a brush. Patches and a jag seem to be sufficient.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's kind of what I thought, and as long as I swab with alcohol after every 3 shots, the rifle seems to keep hitting the same spot and accuracy is great. I figured that guy didn't know what he was talking about. I used to swab with every shot, but found that it shoots the same if I do it every 3 shots so I do that now.

As far as cleaning without a brush, I never use a brush on my rifles, but I had used one on my muzzle loader. So do you guys still just use water on patches or what? I'm thinking maybe I should quit using them on my muzzle loader too now. BTW also, does alcohol do a decent job of cleaning a muzzle loader in pinch when away from home and unable to use water to clean it for a few days to a week, or would I be better off buying one of the advertised solvents they sell at the store?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

No brushes for me. Usually do one side of one alcohol patch between shots - one stroke down and up. Sometimes I do both sides of the patch depending on the humidity and how much fouling I'm getting.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

So when at home after the range is cleaning with alcohol fine, or do you really need to use water?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.