Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Wisconsin Muzzleloader Regulation >

New Wisconsin Muzzleloader Regulation

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Wisconsin Muzzleloader Regulation

Old 09-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default New Wisconsin Muzzleloader Regulation

Wisconsin has been fighting over and over about letting scopes be on muzzleloaders. For the longest time, they could not have magnification. This is the new regulation...
  • Scopes with magnification or telescopic sights are now legal on muzzleloaders during the 10-day Nov. 29 – Dec.8 muzzleloader season.
This means all of my fancy scoped muzzleloaders are now legal to use all season long. Seems it really opens up a whole new half rack of rifles to shoot for me.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Great!!! - Idaho is still in the dark ages - conicals only -no 209's- and no scopes during ML season...

But during the regular rifle season it is all OK - So I hunt all year with a ML now using a modern inline during rifle season and a Renegade/Fast Twist GM and Bullshops during ML season...
Old 09-04-2010, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

Well atleast you guys have a ML season. Montana is still in the dark and I doubt if it will ever change. They got rid of all the late hunts a few years back. So I doubt they open it back up to ML. They only glimmer of hope is during archery. But those guys would fight and die with bows in hand before they would let anyone else hunt the elk rut. I may at some point but in for a out of state ML tag.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe Minnesota will decide to do something like that. I keep hearing they're talking about it, but so far nothing.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:50 AM
Dominant Buck

The funny part is, my favorite rifles have magnified scope in quick release scopes and then a matching 1x scope for the old muzzleloader requirements. I think a person will be seeing a lot of 1x scopes come on the market around here. I have several, but I do like shooting with them. To me they are still more accurate then fiber optic sights.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

That should make Toby Bridges happy. I have never hunted with a scope on a muzzleloader even though it is legal in Texas.

My main focus is hunting Colorado, so I just always hunt with open sights. If I want to shoot one at longer range down here, I just pick up my 270.

I am probably in the minority, but I hope that Colorado never allows scopes. Several reasons:

1) Will probably up the success rate, causing them to lower the amount of tags that they give for a special season. Even a slight increase in success rates, could mean they will curtail the numbers in the special season quite a bit. Let's say it increases the elk harvest from 20 to 25% success rates. That means that for every thousand tags, there will be another 50 elk killed. So, they will want to cut the harvest by 50 tags. To do that with a 25% harvest rate, they would have eliminate 200 tags! This would mean lower odds to draw

2) Allowing scopes will probably mean more people will apply. This would lower my odds even more.

It is currently taking a nonresident 4 years to draw a muzzleloading bull tag, so this would probably push that back at least a year.

So I am glad you can use a scope in Texas and Wisconsin but hope they keep things the way they are in Colorado.

Another 10 years when the eyes are even worse, could be a different story.....

Last edited by txhunter58; 09-04-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

Well Dave it is about time these old eyes need it. My Encore is going to get my 1.5 by 5 Leupold. I got a permit to hunt Wissota state Park this year only 40 issued. That will work perfect.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Good luck hunting Wissota State Park. If that is the one I am thinking of over by Chippewa Falls, my folks used to camp there. My Dad used to always comment about all the deer they would see over there. Is that a muzzleloader only?
Old 09-05-2010, 03:54 AM
Spike

txhunter, I don't think I agree with your reasoning. Scopes only allow better shot placement IMHO. They don't increase the range of the rifle, they don't increase power, but for most folks a they do give a better sight picture. there are way to many folks out there that take shots they shoudn't and probably wound more animals that will ever be known about and scope or no scope doesn't matter to these folks I feel a scope gives more focus during the shot, now if you miss you miss but at least your just not throwing lead. I'm not trying to start a major debate here and I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, just giving my 2 cents on it.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rhans53
txhunter, I don't think I agree with your reasoning. Scopes only allow better shot placement IMHO. They don't increase the range of the rifle, they don't increase power, but for most folks a they do give a better sight picture. there are way to many folks out there that take shots they shoudn't and probably wound more animals that will ever be known about and scope or no scope doesn't matter to these folks I feel a scope gives more focus during the shot, now if you miss you miss but at least your just not throwing lead. I'm not trying to start a major debate here and I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, just giving my 2 cents on it.
Rather than highjack this thread, because for Wisconsin, it is a good thing, I will start another one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.