Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T7 question?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default T7 question?

I've been shooting the T7 pellets and noticed that 2 Magnums(red box) shot way outside the 3" group that I had with 3 of the 50gr. Regular(black box).What gets me is that the Box of magnumT7 doesn't show a #of grain,just says to use 2 pellets for a magnum load,yet the regular T7 pellets are measured in grains.Am I missing something?Is that the difference in ffg and fffg?well I don't think I'll be using the MagnumT7 pellets anymore and may ditch the pellets altogether.Let me ask (not that I'd use it) but do they make the"magnum"T7 in loose powder?
Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

PREDATE

It is widely consider that the 2 Magnum pellets are comparable to 120 grains of loose T7.

Remember the original T7 pellets are not really equivelant to 50 grains of T7 - they are loaded down to equal 50 grains of real BP or Pyro.

Shooting 2 T7 mag pellets brings you to some manufactures maximum load suggested in their rifles. You are effectivlely shooting 150 grains of real BP/Pryro. So in effect you have moved from shooting about 125 grains of BP to shooting 150 grains of BP - There should be movement in your groups.

I consistantly shoot 110 grains of loose T7 from my Rems and I am very pleased with the results.

If I can I would highly suggest that you make the move from pellets to loose - much easier to work up loads - much cheaper to shoot.

Then - depending on which 209 conversion you have you could even move to BH if you can afford the powder and I would say if you are OK shooting the cost pellets - then BH would be an easy move for you. I still prefer to shoot T7-2f and only because of cost.

If you have installed the Canadian 209 conversion - you can shoot shoot BH but you can not use the hottest primers - they creat to much pressure to get through the flash hole. I shoot Cheddites and I am sure that STS's would work equally well with BH. But you will get some blow back mess.