Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ultra Bore Coat

Old 08-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

Default Ultra Bore Coat

Well guys the stuff works excellent and does what its supposed to do. Its a small 10ml amount and will do Three .50cal muzzle loader barrels. I cleaned the bores out and used a slightly loose fitting patch and then soaked the patch in the Bore Coat and ran it slowly down the bore, swabbing a 4 to 6" strokes at a time. I repeated this 3 times, stood it muzzle down and allowed it to dry.

After that 15 minutes i went and turned the barrel muzzle up and repeated the earlier steps.

After 40 shots on the range, you apply One more coat, from the muzzle down to the breech plug and you're finished for a life time. I think Doug said they'd fired over 4,000 shots without any trouble with the product losing any life.

Barrels on the 3 rifles i did with the Bore Coat now clean up with only 2 to 3 patches with Hoppes #9. After you dry and oil them, they look like a highly polished mirror!

I made a movie of me cleaning the Accura that i have to upload some time and its just amazing stuff to be honest. The barrels are easier to load even though i am using powerbelts. Clean or dirty, they just go down without any tight spots.

I am working with my nephews Wolf right now, getting his dialed in just in case he uses it this November for his hunt. I coated his yesterday, got it all sighted in 1 1/2" high @ 50 and tomorrow i will hopefully be able to take it out to 100 yards. Going to clean that rifle tomorrow evening and see how the bore looks after running 20 rounds through it.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the report. I have wondered about that stuff. Is that the same product you use in the reciever to make it easier to clean up?
Art
Old 08-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Banned

no the stuff i used in the receiver is the ultra coatings gun shield. That stuff wont hold up in the bore.

Ultra bore coat is for the bore only.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

that stuff sounds great. What is the intended purpose of it, to make clean up easy? to make loading easy? does it affect accuracy? Just wondering
Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by caplock
that stuff sounds great. What is the intended purpose of it, to make clean up easy? to make loading easy? does it affect accuracy? Just wondering
Eliminate crud ring with powders, easy clean up, decrease in lead/copper fouling. I notice that the powder burns up a lot cleaner too and leaves a lot less fouling in the bore.

Havent noticed any increase or decrease in accuracy, i believe its just for ease of clean up like i said and Plus its main purpose is to protect against rust and corrosion.