Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C letter for conicals >

T/C letter for conicals

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C letter for conicals

Old 06-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default T/C letter for conicals

I have only good things to say about T/C in quality and customer service, EXCEPT where it comes to them building an inline with a closed breech that will shoot a conical!!

Here is a letter I wrote them. If enough of us contact them, maybe we can get something done?

"Does T/C have any plans to come out with an inline with a closed breech that will shoot conicals well? I own an Omega, but will not buy another T/C unless they are designed for full bore conicals.

I must confess that I only hunt Colorado and Texas, but even though I can use sabots in Texas, I stick with conicals to reduce overall expense and room in my possibles boxes. I know of lots of other guys who are in the same boat. From what I know, if you did come out with such a gun, there would definately be a market. And there is an increasing supply of new, premium conical bullets ( Hornady FPB and Thor bullets to name two).

Obviously, to do that, you would have to either lose the QLA, or make it better.

Why not simply come out with an Omega/Triumph... version that you don't cut the QLA. Seems cheap enough to try. I really think you would be surprised at the market. I love the quality of your products as well as your outstanding customer service, but won't be buying another one until this problem is addressed."
Old 06-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I have never shot conicals out of a Triumph or an Omega. Do you think the rifling might have something to do in all this mix as well. I have shot conicals out of my Black Diamond XR with good results. And that rifle has a QLA on it.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

That may be a factor as well, as I have heard of other models with a QLA that shoot well too. However, it seems like some have chopped off the QLA and it has improved the accuracy with conicals. I may be wrong, but I think that is the main culprit.

Especially because conicals that have a minnie ball like "bell" on the rear end like a sabot seem to shoot well (powerbelts, FPBs, and Thors). I think the "skirt" seals in the gasses better as it exits the QLA. When I shot no exuses 460 gr bullets in my Omega, I got 5 to 8 inches at 25 yards! Some went through the target sideways. Seems like that is not just rifling but gasses kicking the bullet sideways

Last edited by txhunter58; 06-05-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Banned

they'll tell you that its the Twist, Its to fast for conicals.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
they'll tell you that its the Twist, Its to fast for conicals.
That dog won't hunt! Whites with a 1 in 24 twist shoot conicals real well.

And isn't the Accura a 1 in 28 " gun as well?

Last edited by txhunter58; 06-05-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Banned

yes it is. They'll tell you to try a powerbelt and if it doesnt shoot, send it in for a new barrel. I got that run around when i had my omega and the sights wouldnt adjust enough. No way i was sending in for a barrel replacement just because the sights didnt offer enough adjustment
Old 06-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know about conicals specifically, but I know my T/C Encore 209x50 wouldn't shoot any load in the Encore manual worth a crap. I was about to get rid of the gun until I talked with someone at Precision Bullets about my problem. He recommended two of their heavier .50 cal. bullets (a 300 gr. spire point and a 330 gr. HP, both with sabots.) Without changing ANYTHING else, my gun went from shooting tumbling bullets that might not hit a 4' x 4' target holder at 100 yards, to 3 inch groups at 100 yards. Since then, I have found other bullets, all in the 300 + gr. weight which are also longer than the lighter bullets that shoot equally well in my Encore. Apparently T/C barrels can be very finicky about what they will shoot, and inconsistent from one gun to another as well. My gun prefers heavier and longer bullets. My gun also has the QLA feature. I suspect the barrels on the Encore, Omega and Triumph are the same.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I really don't understand the problem. I have an Omega, a Triumph, and a Encore Endeavor and they will shoot under an inch with 200 gr bullets and sabot 250 gr bullets and sabot 300 gr bullets and sabot now I have not tried every thing and there are a couple bullets that just won't shoot for me like the 240 gr and the 269 gr I get up to one three quarter inch groups with them but they shoot 5 conicals and those explosive PB's very well [I use the PB's for varmint but I can put a plug in the hollow point and make them behave if I want. Now I am an old hand at muzzle loading my Grandfather started me with a pair of his originals long before there were any commercial made muzzle loaders so I probably had and advantage before I had a muzzle loading and archery shop for 20 years. But I will tell you if you figure out how to do it you can make those TC guns and many of the others for that matter do what you need. I have yet to see a TC, Knight or White that I could not get to shoot good.
And that is not to say that some of the others won't also.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

I have always shot heavy saboted bullets in my omega and Encore 300 and 400 gr cast 45.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

"I guess I really don't understand the problem."

Well, T/C acknowledges the problem. When the Omega came out, they stated on their website that it would shoot "sabots and conicals alike". They have since taken that off and will tell you if you call that it is designed for sabots, and they now don't make any claim that they will shoot conicals.

And a new gun that shoots 8 inch groups at 25 yards with a bullet as good as the no excuses has something more wrong than just normal tinkering will fix IMO.

I paid about $500 for the Omega about 6-7 years ago for hunting in Colorado, and until the FPB came out, the only bullet it would shoot was powerbelts. And that was with 4 years of tinkering with different bullets, different powders, wads, etc. Was going to sell it when FPBs came out.

But I told them the truth. I won't buy another one of their guns until they get this issue resolved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.