Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Renegade RB gun @ the Dinger Farm >

Renegade RB gun @ the Dinger Farm

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Renegade RB gun @ the Dinger Farm

Old 03-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Renegade RB gun @ the Dinger Farm

Got to run out to the Farm today to get a few shots in with the PRB gun.... Took a rookie ML shooter with me and he actually did most of the shooting - I think he is hooked - somebody just has to set the hook...

Semi I used your Olive oil patches for the first few shoots - the worked well... thanks for the tip...

Anyway we set up a paper target at 50 yard and put some hole in that. The wind was blowing up the draw pretty good but shooting paper got boring so I ran some clay pigeons out to 50 yards. I popped one and Nic popped the other two... 50 yards was not a problem so I put three up at 75-80 and Nic ran them also... He and that gun just flat out shoot. He made one shot a 75 yards that you really could only see about 1 1/2 of the bird... broke it to bits...

So I think the gun is ready for the first shoot of the season for me... The 'Spring Fling' in Orofino - April 11... Should be a lot of fun...
Old 03-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Dominant Buck

sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck at your shoot.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

It really was a lot of fun this afternoon. It was a great day and nobody was farming so we were able to shoot right up the draw.

Each time I shoot the PRB's it seems like a figure out a little bit more about about. And having Nic shoot the rifle it even verified more for me that we were on the right track. I am actually surprised how well that RB will cover 100 yards...

I did have him also shoot a 460 Bull Shop on top of 90 grains of T7-2f. He did say he felt that one... I did warn him it was going to punch him a little bit.... but you never really know until you pull the trigger....

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-27-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I'm glad the olive oil patches worked for you Sabotloader. I decided to have a patch & ball week-end myself, and did a LOT of shooting with the .58 Zouave, .54 GP flintlock, and a recently acquired .50 TC hawken barrel (which you'll see in the classifieds pretty soon). I used up my 4 oz. bottle of olive oil and will have to refill it.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Well I'm glad the olive oil patches worked for you Sabotloader. I decided to have a patch & ball week-end myself, and did a LOT of shooting with the .58 Zouave, .54 GP flintlock, and a recently acquired .50 TC hawken barrel (which you'll see in the classifieds pretty soon). I used up my 4 oz. bottle of olive oil and will have to refill it.
Semi, is the Olive Oil a PRB thing or do you use it for Sabots also? And what have you found it to do?
(BP)

Last edited by Breechplug; 03-28-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike Im glad you had a good time shooting, and it's always good to get a few more recruits into MLing. I have'nt shot PRB's in a long time, I have'nt really missed them since Sabots became legal here.
(BP)
Old 03-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's strictly a patch & ball thing Breechplug. I've tried an awful lot of lubes for patched balls - bore butter, crisco, ballistol, various "moose milk" and moose snot" recipes, various bees wax/oil combinations, etc. - and haven't found anything I like as well as plain old olive oil. I saturate a stack of patches by massaging it in with my fingers, then wrap the stack in a couple of paper towels and squeeze the bundle with my fingers so the paper absorbs the excess oil. The patches have an "almost" dry feel. They are pleasant to handle and work really well in all of my ball guns.

EDIT: As far as what it will do, it pretty much does what any good patch lube will do - makes loading easier, keep the patch from burning, and keeps the fouling soft. I had a long session with the GP flintlock this morning. For the first half of the session I wiped the bore with one alcohol patch between shots. I got tired of that and took the last twenty-five or so shots without swabbing at all, and didn't get any fouling build up or loading difficulty.

Last edited by Semisane; 03-28-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

There is a whole string of Rondys coming up in the next 4/5 months and it really is a kick to go shoot the events.... especially now that trap shooting is done. They look at me kind wierd though when i sign up as 'sabotloader' - I have even been told "you know that you can not use sabots here don't you?"

I just love to shoot so it works very well for me... Just wish I had better eyes...
Old 03-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
It's strictly a patch & ball thing Breechplug. I've tried an awful lot of lubes for patched balls - bore butter, crisco, ballistol, various "moose milk" and moose snot" recipes, various bees wax/oil combinations, etc. - and haven't found anything I like as well as plain old olive oil. I saturate a stack of patches by massaging it in with my fingers, then wrap the stack in a couple of paper towels and squeeze the bundle with my fingers so the paper absorbs the excess oil. The patches have an "almost" dry feel. They are pleasant to handle and work really well in all of my ball guns.
Thank's for the Tip Semi
I have'nt had the Ol 50 Cal Poor Boy out in some time, I think between you and Sabotloader I better get the Ol Friend out and shoot her again and Balls are a-lot cheaper than Saboted Bullets. I have plenty of Olive Oil and Patches so there's no excuses! Again thank's for the Tip I'll write it down in My ML Book.
(BP)
Old 03-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sabotloader, I envy your proximity to Rondys. There's nothing like that around here. Maybe that's a good thing. Today I found out just how badly I STINK at offhand shooting. Fifteen or twenty shots at fifty yards, and about five of them were "somewhere near" the bull.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.