Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cabela's cap & ball >

Cabela's cap & ball

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cabela's cap & ball

Old 04-25-2007, 02:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cabela's cap & ball

Does someone here own one of the Cabela's cap & ball revolvers? I'm interested in getting one of their 1851 Navy pistols, but I'd like to know who manufactures their blackpowder pistols.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cabela's cap & ball

I own one, the 1858 New Army Remington target model in .44 caliber. They are a good shooting revolver. I have no complaints about mine or the way it shoots. It will hold its own at 25 yards with any revolver you want to shoot with. Granted there are better revolvers out there for more money, but if your like me and shoot it once in a while when the mood hits me, or when I go rabbit hunting, it is all the revolver I need. They are made by Fllipetta of Italy.

The reason I went with the Army model is the top steel strap. I also avoid any brass in the framer other then say the trigger guard. I had a navy model many years ago (actually I don't think I was old enough to even have it back then). I had it loaded up shooting cans off a fence and it chain fired on me and stretched the frame. When I took it to a gun smith to have him look at it, he explained while the Navy models are good shooters, they are prone to twisting in the frame more so then the Army models. So now I have an army model. He fixed that old one and I sold it to a fellow that wanted to hang it on the wall in his den. Sounded like a good place for it.

They really are fun revolvers, a pain to clean although there are ways to do it faster. And are accurate. I would not deer hunt with them, but for small game and targets they are a good way to spend the afternoon. My Army shoots 25-30 gr of Goex 3f and a .451 roundball.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Follow Cayugads advice! Go with the Rem NA 1858. The small white box in the botton left is a spare cylinder. The loading stand is one I modified.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:03 PM

its not the 1851 confederate navy .44 is it? All brass frame? If thats the pistol, do not buy it. I had cabelas send me 4 of them before i got my money back. First one kept jamming, second one always jammed and then the barrel blew off because of a broken pin that held the cylinder shaft on came out, 3ed and 4th wouldnt cock at all, right out of the box. Shy away from the brass frames revolvers. Spend a little extra and buy a steel frame.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Spend a little extra and buy a steel frame.
Yeah!A Ruger!
Old 04-25-2007, 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Gruntr Huntr

Does someone here own one of the Cabela's cap & ball revolvers? I'm interested in getting one of their 1851 Navy pistols, but I'd like to know who manufactures their blackpowder pistols.

Thanks
I have a Pietta made reproduction of a 1858 new army Remington that I purchased from Cabelas. It is a quality product, and I am very happy with it. The Remington models make cleaning, and loading easy because of the simplicity of cylinder removal, and the full frame adds strength.

early
Old 04-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Hey, Rebel Hog, that's a good looking pistol but I'm most interested in your loading stand. Can I steal some ideas from it?

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:03 PM

I am starting to get interested in the same pistols myself. From what I have seen of them, they look like great guns. I haven't shot one yet so all I can give you is my somewhat untested evaluation.

I would spend the extra on the steel. It seems much tougher and less liable to fail. I don't think guns should have ever been made out of brass.

I should try and get me one of those! I also want a traditional muzzleloader.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I am starting to get interested in the same pistols myself. From what I have seen of them, they look like great guns.

I should try and get me one of those! I also want a traditional muzzleloader.
I do some Cowboy Action Shooting with the 1875 Remingtons, these are cartridge revolvers,butI recentlyhad the opportunity to shoot a pair of the Colt 1860 Army repro's, which they also use in CAS shooting, and it's given me the bug to try my hand at a pair of the Navys to see if I might like to shoot matches with them.

As for getting into traditional muzzleloading, all I can say about that is that it's worth every extra effort!!! I'vehunted withtraditional muzzleloaders for years and it's the most rewarding hunting there is to me because its not about trophies or numbers, its about HOW you harvest the game regardless of its size. It makes a doe as exciting as a buck, or, a pheasant as exciting as 3 pheasants!

I recommend you try it and see what I'm talking about.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Gruntr Huntr

Hey, Rebel Hog, that's a good looking pistol but I'm most interested in your loading stand. Can I steal some ideas from it?

Thanks for everyone's input.
You can order the Basic Stand from Dixie Gun Works for$15 and modify it your selfor you can make your own from scratch.

What I have done isTacked & Glued a piece of wood infront of the notch, added a thickier piece of felt and a brass Cabinet Catch to the back of the Hinged board.

Or You Can Purchase The Cylinder LoadingTool

Quick Reply: Cabela's cap & ball

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.