Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tried Some Triple 7 Pellets >

Tried Some Triple 7 Pellets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tried Some Triple 7 Pellets

Old 06-05-2003, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Tried Some Triple 7 Pellets

I decided to try some Triple 7 pellets in my Knight Disc .50 cal. rifle the other day. My rifle has a 24" blued barrel and I use CCI 209 shotshell primers for ignition. I had been using 2 50-gr. Pyrodex pellets in my rifle with a Powerbelt 295-gr. HP bullet, with excellent results. I loaded 2 50-gr. Triple 7 pellets behind this same bullet. My rifle was sighted in for 100 yds. and my first shot with the Triple 7 pellets was perfect elevation and about 2" left. I fired a second shot and it cut the same hole on the target. I then adjusted my scope slightly to the right and shot a bullseye. I did not notice any difference in the recoil between the Pyrodex and the Triple 7 pellets, but it seemed to me that the Triple 7 pellets created a hotter load. The Triple 7 pellets did not have that awful sulphur smell and did not foul the barrel as bad as the Pyrodex pellets. Cleanup was easier with the Triple 7 pellets also. I will be trying the Triple 7 pellets this fall for whitetail deer. I hope that anyone considering using Triple 7 pellets will find this information useful and would like to hear from anyone else who has tried them.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:55 PM

Default RE: Tried Some Triple 7 Pellets

I' m real glad to hear about those. Is Triple 7 the name on the box? Are they readily available like p-dex pellets or do you have to order them? I' m just wondering because my new encore has to be cleaned after every shot because of the fouling. The second shot just wont seat after the first shot. That wont be good come this season if I need a follow up shot. Sorry for all of the questions but I' m like you, I like the way the p-dex performs. But all of the fouling and the smell has got to go. Thanks
Old 06-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I have yet had the chance to shoot triple 7. I do not shoot the pellets, I only shoot the loose powder. I have been shooting Clean Shot as of late. Talk about easy to clean a rifle after getting back home. I normally shoot Pyrodex Select, but got my hands on 2 pounds of clean shot when a store went out of business. My Renegade really seems to like the Clean Shot for some reason. Maybe later this summer when friends get together, I will get a chance to try some of that triple 7. As for the sulpher smell, well I kind of think that is the beauty of the rifle and sport. When I first started shooting with Black Powder we used to call our rifles stink poles instead of smoke poles. I guess I like the big smoke cloud. Glad to hear that the stuff is working good for you.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

3.5mag- yes the box says Triple 7 pellets and they are now readily available. I got my box from the local gun shop, but I do know that Cabela' s and Bass Pro Shops are now carrying the Triple 7 pellets also.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:10 PM

My hunting partner bought some T7 and he loves it he' ll let me shoot some the next time we go out. he went on the hodgenson' s web site and they say that 60 gr. load of T7 is the equal to 70 gr. of black powder if I recall that' s what he told me anyway.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Charlie, it' s interesting that the T7 pellets gave you less fouling than Pyrodex. I have never used either type of pellets, but find that loose T7 fouls all of my various rifles MORE, and requires bore wiping more often, than loose Pyrodex. As a matter of fact, I can continue shooting indefinitely when using Pyrodex, and must wipe after two or three shots with T7 if I want to get the next ball all the way down onto the powder charge.

I' m glad T7 works well for you, since it makes cleaning at the end of the day much easier. It DOES wash out a lot faster than Pyrodex fouling when cleaning!!
Old 07-18-2003, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

This is what I found using the T-7 the other day,Would like to know if anyone finds the same problem.
I am using a 195 barnes bullet and sabot in a T/C encore 50 cal.with 3 f and 2 f and 100 grains of powder.
After firing the first round the barrel is very fouled and if I don' t clean the barrel after each shot I cannot get the bullet down the barrel,I used a spit patch between each shot and had to work the ram rod and patch in short thrusting strokes to get it all the way down the barrel,I found that it leaves a hard crud ring where the sabot and powder meet ,when it fires.To get this ring out I have to work the patch up and down,then turn the patch over and run it down and out before reloading,so I can get the bullet to seat in the same place.I tried the sst,250 gr bullets made for the 50 cal and it was the same with them.
It does clean up easy but I don' t like to clean between each shot even though I do run a spit patch between each load when using pyrodex too.And too I have learned to check the breech plug after about 10 shots too many shots and its hell to get out.
Any one else have this problem with the T-7
Old 07-19-2003, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Herman

You don' t need 115 grains (Pyrodex equivalent) to propel a 195-250 grain sabot 175 yards. Reduce your powder charge to 80-85 FF 777.... that will also reduce your crud ring to allow more practice shots. When you get beyond weights of 300 grain bullets, fine-tune your powder charge by adding 5 grains - maybe 10... when the bullet weight is around 400 grains... then you may need 100 grains loose FF 777.

As an example, I was about ready to " give away" 15 Precision Extended Range 240 grain bullets in a 40 caiber sabot (blue ones) due to poor accuracy. Prior to that, I was shooting the same 105 grain 777 charge with 44 caliber 350 grain Keith Nose hollow points. I lowered the powder charge, accuracy came back & my crud ring became shallower.

CharlieNY

You must of meant to say that you turned your scope left... not right... in order to correct your 2" off-target shots.

To All

If you are getting excellent results with 100 grains (2 pellets) of Pyrodex, there really is no sense in paying more for 777 pellets unless you can' t stand the smell of sulfur and you are using strictly leaded conicals to soap & water clean your rifle. If you are using copper-clad bullets & sabots, you still need to use a few patches of copper & plastic removing solvent.

Also, 100 grains of 777 loose powder is more potent (15%) than Pyrodex loose
That is not the case with 777 pellets vs. Pyrodex pellets. You will notice that a single 50-grain 777 pellet is shorter than a similar Pyrodex pellet to closely meet the existing velocity/energy levels of Pyrodex.

The first one on the block (Pyro pellets) usually sets the ground rules for others to follow. When factoring in shooter safety, having both blackpowder companies on the same page is a real good idea.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

T-7 thanks for thr info,I passed along the info as to what I found because I have never seen on here anyone saying anything about the crude ring that the t-7 leaves.I have seen where some say that it is not as fouling as the pyrodex,but I have tried it in a knight,45,ruger 50 T/C 45 and 50 from 70 to 150 grs and different bullets and it sure fouls each one of them,with the power belts you can get them down the barrel without swabbing between shots,but the sabot bullets I have had more than a few to get stuck in the barrel trying to load them without swabbing.Don' t know about the conicals or round balls haven' t tried them.
Ihave been a little slack in shooting my muzzleloaders this year but last year I shot up 2 cans of T-7 trying to find the magic load before going back to pyrodex select and clean shot in my muzzleloaders. Bought a can of ff and fff the first of this year and still have about a 1/2 can left of each.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Herman, read this http://forums.realtree.com/cgi-bin/u...;f=21;t=000778

I' ll add that I contacted Hodgdon very shortly after T7 was put on the market complaining about the " crud ring" . They didn' t seem to know what I was talkin' about. ????

Quick Reply: Tried Some Triple 7 Pellets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.