Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Rust (assuming) in TC Triumph Barrel >

Rust (assuming) in TC Triumph Barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rust (assuming) in TC Triumph Barrel

Old 12-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is possible, a long shot, but possible, that what you are seeing is the "crud" ring left by some powders when they are shot and not cleaned to a squeaky clean shine. I would run some Hoppes No. 9 soaked patches through it, and see if that reduces the amount of area where the problem is. Judging by the position of the area in question, you might get lucky and have it just be powder fowling. Put a soaked patch on your ramrod, and let it sit in that area for a few minutes, and hopefully that will loosen that junk up. If it is rust, I bet you can still get it down to a level where it is just as smooth as the rest of the barrel, especially with a stainless brush and some good up and down movement. Sorry to hear about your barrel, I gave my brother a real good ass chewing a couple weekends for the condition of his new Optima Pro, its just not ok to leave these guns when they are dirty, and hopefully now my bro knows that since his nice nickel finish is all pitted around the end of the barrel and breach area, and his breach plug was basically welded in place.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

dtabor

sabotloader, before coming on here I tried to contact TC, stayed on hold forever and havent gotten response from me email to them either.....I'll try again.
They probably will not come back on the email - they get a ton of them and I think on their web site they even suggested that emailing would not work.

Phone call early in the morning their time might be the only way to get them unless you just get lucky... BUT - it is the Christmas Season and they normally go pretty dormant until after New Years - especially in this economy.

So if you are in a hurry you are in trouble - if not then it will get taken care of.

If you go to this site..

http://www.tcarms.com/customerService/returns.php

It will tell you how to ship to them - you really do not have to talk to them. Write a summary of your problem and include that with the rifle. If you go this route make sure you ship it with "return receipt requested and insured" They will get the gun, it will be inspected - repaired and reshipped back at ya.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

If the bore forward of that ring is shiny i would not worry about it too much. Just take the gun out, load it with powder, make sure the sabot seats well on the powder and shoot it. It may clean up better after a few shots.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you falcon. If you are going to have a bad spot in your bore the breech end would be the best place to have it. A bad spot meaning a little corrosion or staining, nothing serious of course.