Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sabot braking pedels after the shot >

Sabot braking pedels after the shot

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabot braking pedels after the shot

Old 11-17-2009, 02:39 AM
Spike

Default Sabot braking pedels after the shot

I am shoting a TC Encore with 100 vol or 76 weighed charge on Triple 777 ffg lose powder fusion ML primers and 250 superglide sabots. When I find my sabot the pedels are broken off I thought I read on here that shouldn't happen. It seems to be shoting around an 1in at 100yds so I think it's ok just asking.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Completely normal. It does not matter what the petals look like after shot, some are designed to shear off.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Spike

ok thanks new to this.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with what spaniel said. As long as your accuracy is good, it doesn't matter what the sabot looks like.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Dominant Buck

A few of the sabots are known for this. Another one is the blue sabots used for shooting the 10mm bullets. The first time I shot them, I was shocked to see such damage to the sabot. BUT as long as they are accurate, that is all that counts.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

What they said
Old 11-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just for the heck of it and I never really looked anyway, today my Best Freind was making sure his shotgun was right on for this weekends opener, and he was shooting on his Farm where I sighted in My ACCURA's the other day. So I looked for my Sabots and found about a dozen of them just to see what they looked like.
Well a few were all togeather, some had 1 missing pedel, some 2. And from shooting 1" groups at 100yds I guess it does'nt matter one bit what your sabots look like as long as your shooting good groups.
(BP)
Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Torn sabots are usually a sign the sabot is being pushed too hard. With your load there should be no torn ones. The new superglides are thinner and probably would tear. I shoot shockwaves with the supplied black sabots with 100 grains of pyro and have never seen them torn or broken. Bottom line is if your groups are excellent then no problems otherwise change loads.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Think about it this way, by the time the petals of the sabot bend back far enough to break off, the bullet is already long gone.

Mike