Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Omega won't group. >

T/C Omega won't group.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Omega won't group.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

+2 spaniel. my omega shoots very well with Nosler,SST,XTP and Gold dots,I have never found a lead bullet it likes. I tried both QT 40 and Dead centers with poor results. I do not even want to talk about how it shoots conicals

Charlie
Old 11-08-2009, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Check and make sure you don't have to long of screws holding your scope mounts on if you do you will have to get different screws or shorten them. A very tiny amount of play there will make any gun shoot all over. Check all mounting points including the action attaching. If you bought it used check the size of the touch hole it must be less than 40 thousands in size and round if it is flame cut to one side that also can cause your problem. Use a torque wrench and set the stock to action screws to 28 inch pounds uneven or to much or to little pressure affects accuracy. And last but not least try a different powder, I have come across several guns that just won't shoot old crudring 777 accurate.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by thom2
I've been trying to get my Omega to group.
I've floated the barrel by sanding down the synthetic stock pressure point. It didn't seem to have any effect. The groups were the same before floating the barrel.
I've tried 120gr. and 110gr. Triple 7

When I bought the bullets, Ray of http://muzzleloadingbullets.com said, 120gr. of Triple 7 was the load producing the best groups. Not for me. I reload and shoot bench rest. This is frustrating. Any ideas?

SEE ATTACHED TARGET IMAGE
Bullet
.40 Dead Center - 240 grain -120 gr. Triple Seven FFG
I've ordered some Hornady SST 250gr. to test. I have on hand some Knight Jacketed Bullets 240 gr, .40-240 Dead Center and some T/C XTP 240 gr.

I'll start as suggested with 85 grains of T7 and work upward. Any suggestions on with bullet to start with.

Also I heard tighten the rear recoil lug before the front recoil lug. then tighten them both the same. I have a torx driver and I have them both tightened to 50 in. lbs.

I've installed a rubber cushion at the front pressure point where that I have sanded down to float the barrel. This has worked on some of my centerfire rifles that wouldn't group. SEE ATTACHED.
Attached Thumbnails T/C Omega won't group.-omegabarrelrubber.jpg  

Last edited by thom2; 11-08-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

I yet to too see a inline not handle the hornady xtp 240 or 300 grainers.I shoot the 300 xtp and 85 grains of T777 in my inline but I change the factory black sabot that comes in the box.I like the harvester crush rib sabot : I think they mike to .500 and my t/c barrel is tight the factory set -up sabot are a o.k. only if I clean the barrel before loading otherwise they can be hard getting down the bore.I never did ask I hope you don't lube the sabot some guy also swap with t/c bore buttter??????
I would recommend plain spit if the sabot are tight going down the bore.
I would also say to mark your ramrod or make sure you are not seating the bullet too much,I know my setup i only sit the bullet/sabot over the powder never crush it.
I would say some guns shoot better with dirty bores so it something you have to play with my bores like them clean so I swap after each shot nothing more then window cleaner on a cloth jag followed by a clean jag
I hope it helps
The funny part I can load up to 115 grains of real BP in my inlines and handle the recoil with no problem but with T7 my max is 85 grains.
I shot the Qt's before still have a few in the bag,I am not a big fan on them only because they will (most of the time) only have one entrance hole and blood trils can be hard to follow;I shot a huge 8 pointers in Pa. a few years back ran 140 class almost lost him to a poor blood trail.I can say the silver lighting in 300 grain will put deer down were they stand I shot a few large does that never took a step and the holes are large enough to leave blood all over the place.
I also shoot the bufffalo Sb 375 grain HPBT another outstanding bullet and again 80 to 85 grains with T7 in my max:
hope all helps
Old 11-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thom2
There are many things that can be over done I think 50 inch pounds is enough to distort the stock. If it has and won't relax back to its proper shape you may have to bed it and put pillars in. Lee
Old 11-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

call TC find out what they say to shoot ,if that does not work send it to them with a note explaining what you have done and what you think of the POS and to please send a proven barrel to you , been there done that.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:36 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by thom2
I have a torx driver and I have them both tightened to 50 in. lbs.
I don't think I would go over 25 to 30. 50 seems a little much , then again I ain't no gunsmith.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just sighted in my friends Omega this weekend. Use 90 grains of T7 and a 240 rain xtp in the supplied sabot. I mounted the QR leo[olds for him , bore sighted and be bullseyed first shot a 50 yeards. We will work this weekend on 100 and beyond. I would look at the sights forst male sure they are tight, look at the stock screwssecond. It just sounds as though something is moving around. When you set yuor stock screws next time, mark wear they set. You have a tight point everytime, not guessing what is and isn't tight.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by chetmarks
I don't think I would go over 25 to 30. 50 seems a little much , then again I ain't no gunsmith.
I have a TC Omega and I was wondering the same thing this morning. So I just called TC and asked the customer service girl how many pounds per inch the action screws should be set at and she replied, "There is no exact poundage. We hand-tighten the screws until snug, then go another 1/8 turn."

Sounds easy enough, but that kind of inexact answer is the kind of thing that makes my OCD flare up . So I guess I'm gonna be setting mine to about 25 pounds with a Fat Wrench so that I can have some known, definite basis if I need to take it apart again in the future.

Anyway, just wanted to share that.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Omega shooting better

Here's the latest on getting my Omega to group. Went to 85 grains of T7 with the T/C 240 XTP. ( SEE TARGET) two in the same hole - one 2" high. I'll keep testing tomorrow when I receive the Hornady 250 SST.
Attached Thumbnails T/C Omega won't group.-85gr-240-tc-xst.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.