Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
hardcore lead cleaning solvent? >

hardcore lead cleaning solvent?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hardcore lead cleaning solvent?

Old 09-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Banned

Default hardcore lead cleaning solvent?

Im in need of some strong stuff. I knew it was there since i got the rifle but my Evolution has a good deal of lead build up near the face of the breech plug and some places here and there through out the barrel. Ive used 0 steelwool with flitz and i got a great deal of it but this one area is thick.

What kind of hardcore lead cleaning solvent is out there that could help me?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Hoppe's makes a very good solvent that removes lead and so does Birchwood Casey Sheath. BUT you have to apply the solvent and let them sit a little while before you hit it with a brush.

Have you pulled the barrel and sprayed the bore down with brake cleaner, then hit it with a copper brush, not a nylon?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Banned

no i havent but i can do that tomorrow. I'll find something to plug the BP with and let the brake cleaner soak for a day or so.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cut my teeth as a kid casting for an old remington rolling block in 50/70 which I still shoot from time to time. Over the years I had accumulated several others, from rems in 45/70 to springfields, winchester highwalls and sharps. For quite a few years I was a member of the NSSA and jumped between the springfields, enfields, smith and gallager carbines. Leading was always a problem, it not only caused difficult loading over time with the rifled muskets but had a dramatic effect on accuracy on them all. What I found is a simple method that did not involve the use of messy solutions, with time spent scrubbing the lengths of the tubes in the hope of removing the lead. Here it is, it can also be used on your shotguns to tighten up those groups. Go to your local grocery store and pick up a package of the copper "chore girls", you know, the copper metal scrubby(not the silver one) that one uses to clean pots and pans, unraval it and cut it with sissors into squares, large enough to wrap around an old bore brush that you have discarded. Clean your bore as you normally would, then attach the wrapped bore brush to your rod and stroke the length of the tube three to four times. Pull the brush out and turn the bore upside down onto a sheet of clean white paper and what you will find is lead deposits that the edges of the "chore girl" have grabbed and removed. Presto, your back in the Ten Ring again. Even at the range, its handy to have with you during extensive shooting, you realize that your groups are starting to open up.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

EQ
what a cheep simple solution. I suppose no excessive bore wear as the copper is soft.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

NONE, provided you DO NOT use a steel or fiberglass rod as it can damage the crown over time.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

There is cloth that I bought at a gun store for removing lead and I can't think of the name. I run a patch through all my pistols after about every 500 rounds. Makes the bores look like new. Check out your local fun store.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

+1 on the choreboy/girl strands wrapped around an old copper bore brush. This works like magic on my pistols after shooting a bunch of cast bullets thru them.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
There is cloth that I bought at a gun store for removing lead and I can't think of the name. I run a patch through all my pistols after about every 500 rounds. Makes the bores look like new. Check out your local fun store.

Kleenbore is the name of it. It's in a red package.