Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Loads for a 45 cal Encore >

Loads for a 45 cal Encore

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loads for a 45 cal Encore

Old 08-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Spike

Default Loads for a 45 cal Encore

What do you have the best luck with? I shot Powerbelts with 777 exclusively. Not anymore, I'm sick of all the work in between shots. I want something a bit more consistent. I'm not set on anything yet, powder or bullets. What do you recommend? thanx in advance--->Roger
Old 08-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd suggest starting with either 777 FFFG or BH209 as a powder. As for projectile, I would try the 200 grain XTP and 200 grain SST or Shockwave. These bullets tend to be pretty accurate in many different .45 rifles. As for your Encore, it's hard to say what it will prefer, but I would start with 80 grains of your choice of powder and work your way up in 5 grain increments. I've noticed with my .45, 5 grains of powder can make a big difference in accuracy. It took me a long time to find the right load for mine, but once I did it shot very accurately and consistently when I did my part.

Best of luck!
Old 08-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Spike

thanx for your input! I was leaning towards Shockwaves as they are made by T/C. In my 50 all i have ever shot were Hornadays
Old 08-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Spike

What do you think about Clean shot, or Pioneer powders?
Old 08-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jesshodgie
What do you think about Clean shot, or Pioneer powders?
IMHO the very best Ascorbic Acid based powder for the money is still Goex Pinnacle 3Fg Loose powder (Made by Pioneer Powder).

For 22-24 bucks you can get a whole pound of powder. You should put a 2x2 inch Silica Gel(dessicant) pack in the can to keep it bone dry (this goes for all BP subs).

Pinnacle(All Pioneer Powder) is very forgiving, so use as much as you need, to get the speed you desire, without going over your owners manual limit.

APP likes to be very FIRMLY compressed, to give the best results

Don't waste your time with APP "EZ Loads" Or "Sticks", cause they give very erratic down-range results

Last edited by LaneNebraska; 08-29-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Spike

The only crappy thing is around here its tough to anything besides 777 or pyrodex. I've thought alot about Pinnacle. I hope to find it! thanx for the info Lane
Old 08-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's nothing wrong with sticking with 777 - it's my favorite powder. I know a lot of guys swear by BH209 but I just can't justify the price, considering I can get 777 for around $15 a pound on clearance. I don't have any personal experience with Pioneer Poweders, but I'm sure Lane is giving good advice here.

If you stick with 777 I would recommend trying FFFG if you can find it- it's always been more accurate for me, produces less crud ring, and gives higher velocities with the powder charges most people use. Personally I don't like Pyrodex- it's very dirty and produces lower velocities.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Banned

Not a thing wrong with Pyrodex. Very consistent and a very reliable powder. I'd try some Pyrodex P and see how it does. Get an assortment of primers and take 3 shots with each brand of primers.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
There's nothing wrong with sticking with 777 - it's my favorite powder. I know a lot of guys swear by BH209 but I just can't justify the price, considering I can get 777 for around $15 a pound on clearance. I don't have any personal experience with Pioneer Poweders, but I'm sure Lane is giving good advice here.

If you stick with 777 I would recommend trying FFFG if you can find it- it's always been more accurate for me, produces less crud ring, and gives higher velocities with the powder charges most people use. Personally I don't like Pyrodex- it's very dirty and produces lower velocities.

what is your between shot routine? How well are you cleaning the bore?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:50 AM
Spike

I use 777 with Hornady 240 gr hollow points w/ no problem whatsoever in my past 50 cals. I swabbed the barrel every third shot... It certainly makes a difference...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.