Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

wolf muzzleloader

Old 08-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Spike

Default wolf muzzleloader

i have a wolf muzzleloader it shoots okay but anyone have any ideas to make it shoot better
Old 08-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay is pretty good for a Wolf.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
Okay is pretty good for a Wolf.
what do u shoot
Old 08-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You get what you pay for with a Wolf. You should have gone up a level with an Optima Mag. I know this doesn't help, sorry.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by superstrutter
You get what you pay for with a Wolf. You should have gone up a level with an Optima Mag. I know this doesn't help, sorry.
no dude your cool thanks anyway i just did not have the money at the moment you are totally right
Old 08-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by superstrutter

Not true at all. Visit the Black Powder section. There are quite a few Wolf owners, and other owners of muzzleloaders in the $100-$150 range. You'd be surprised what you can do with a little powder, bullet, sabot, and primer testing. Do you shoot a muzzleloader superstrutter? 1 inch 100 yard groups are pretty easy once you get the right recipe. Here's mine: 300gr Barnes Expander MZ, Harvester Crushed Rib sabot, 2 50gr Pyrodex pellets, and Winchester W209 shotgun primers. It also shoots just as well with 100gr loose Pyrodex RS.

wolf muzzleloader-1-inch-3-.jpg

wolf muzzleloader-barnes20082nd-7-.jpg

wolf muzzleloader-benches-2-.jpg
Old 08-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many different powder and bullet/sabots combinations have you tried???

What size groups are you shooting at 100 yards??? and is this with a scope???
Old 08-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Dominant Buck

You mention you have a CVA Wolf, but you don't give much information.
What kind of powder are you shooting?
How much powder are you shooting?
What projectile have you tried?
Are you swabbing the bore between shots?
What are you swabbing with?
Are you shooting open sights or scope?
Was it shooting accurate before?
How do you prepare the rifle before the first shot?

I helped a person sight in a New Frontier copy of the Wolf. I discovered his rifle with 85 grains of powder and a 240 grain XTP did real well. If I had more time I would have suggested he try some .430 diameter 300 grain XTP with a green harvester crushed rib sabot.

There are a lot of things you can do to make any rifle shoot better. Never let the cost of the rifle determine the accuracy of the rifle.. I have a Cheap CVA Staghorn Magnum that cost $89.00 and it is a great shooter. But I found its load, powder, and practiced with it. All you need to do is experiment and try some different things while being consistent in your swabbing and the manner you address the rifle.

Are you normally a good shot with say a center fire?
Old 08-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sjsfire
Not true at all. Visit the Black Powder section. There are quite a few Wolf owners, and other owners of muzzleloaders in the $100-$150 range. You'd be surprised what you can do with a little powder, bullet, sabot, and primer testing. Do you shoot a muzzleloader superstrutter? 1 inch 100 yard groups are pretty easy once you get the right recipe. Here's mine: 300gr Barnes Expander MZ, Harvester Crushed Rib sabot, 2 50gr Pyrodex pellets, and Winchester W209 shotgun primers. It also shoots just as well with 100gr loose Pyrodex RS.

Attachment 1433

Attachment 1434

Attachment 1435
thanks for the advice
Old 08-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by cayugad
You mention you have a CVA Wolf, but you don't give much information.
What kind of powder are you shooting?
How much powder are you shooting?
What projectile have you tried?
Are you swabbing the bore between shots?
What are you swabbing with?
Are you shooting open sights or scope?
Was it shooting accurate before?
How do you prepare the rifle before the first shot?

I helped a person sight in a New Frontier copy of the Wolf. I discovered his rifle with 85 grains of powder and a 240 grain XTP did real well. If I had more time I would have suggested he try some .430 diameter 300 grain XTP with a green harvester crushed rib sabot.

There are a lot of things you can do to make any rifle shoot better. Never let the cost of the rifle determine the accuracy of the rifle.. I have a Cheap CVA Staghorn Magnum that cost $89.00 and it is a great shooter. But I found its load, powder, and practiced with it. All you need to do is experiment and try some different things while being consistent in your swabbing and the manner you address the rifle.

Are you normally a good shot with say a center fire?
thanks thats good advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.