Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 circle dot reticle >

circle dot reticle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

circle dot reticle

Old 04-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default circle dot reticle

I am looking at a scope with an illuminated circle dot reticle to put on one of my muzzleloaders. I was wondering if any of you have used a circle dot. The scope is made by Traditions. Pros/cons? Thanks.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: circle dot reticle

muzzy - I've never used the circle/dot reticle on a ML but have used it on other firearms. Depending on the size of the dot, it can cover a lot of your target. I currently have a compact shotgun scope with a circle/crosshair reticle on my Marlin guide gun. The circle is great for fast target acquisition and the crosshair inside the circle is nice for more precise shooting.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Illuminated Circle Dot
Designed for fast target acquisition in any environment, the Illuminated Circle Dot reticle can also be used to estimate range.
This is what they say about a circle dot reticle. I have them on my RED DOTs and personally, I don't like them. They are fine for close shooting, but again this is all my opinion. You might like them just fine. I really like that cross hair sticking out there in the breeze. Why? No idea.

Some questions to ask.. how big is the dot at 100 yards? Some are 3-5 MOA. The smaller the better. On my RED DOT I have both a 3 & 5 MOA. I always use the 3.

I do shoot a Traditions Illuminated scope. Its the 1.5-6x40mm and they had them on sale for $49.00. It has good clarity, and plenty of power on the range. Also the illuminated cross hairs are pretty cool in low light. So far it seems to be working and holding up real well. But I am going to try and shake it apart. I was shooting 120 grains of Black powder the other day out of the rifle it is mounted on, and it did just fine.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,

I am looking at the scope that you had mentioned to me in an earlier post and it is on sale for $50 but it has a circle dot reticle instead of a crosshairs. If it had crosshairs I would have purchased it by now. I need buy two scopes and I guess I could buy one of the circle dots but most of my shots will be at around 100 yards. I was thinking that the circle dot would probably bee good out to maybe 75 yds but after that may be a little harder to use. It's inexpensive enough so I don't know why I don't just order it and see but I will probably have to live with whatever I end up buying so I want to make a good decision. Not a lot extra laying around to throw at a scope I won't use.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=A1144IR

this is the scope I bought. A1144IR . I even double checked the box it came in, and the model code is A1144IR on the box. Mine is NOT a circle dot reticle scope. It has the cross hairs. I wonder if this is a mistake on the Tradition's site. I was thinking of getting another one for a rifle I bought (and is on the way) the other night. I think I would give Traditions a phone call and question them. Like I said, I even looked through the scope again, and it is not a circle dot reticle. So I do not know what to tell you.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for checking on that cayugad. I will try and give traditions a call this afternoon. If I find anything out I will post back here.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

I just got off of the phone with Tradtions and they told me that ALL of their illuminated reticles are duplex crosshair reticles. It is an error on the site. I think I will go ahead and order, but now I have to decide...order 1 or should I order 2?????
Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

that's with the light on and off... for broad day light I was not sure it would even show up.. Thanks for checking. I might order another one myself. They are not a bad scope.