Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gunwerks muzzy

Old 03-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Gunwerks muzzy

After watching the "Best of the West" hunting show on tv I checked out the gunwerks rifles on there website. They are coming out with a 500 yd. muzzleloader. I did a little calculating and figured a 250 gr. bullet will need to be traveling at 2300 f.p.s. to have enough energy to kill a deer,(thats at the 800 f.p.e. some claim is needed). The bullet would need a .300 b.c.. A 200 gr., .300 b.c. bullet would need to be traveling about 2550 f.p.s. By the looks of the prices on there other 2 rifles it seems it would cost no less than maybe $2500 to purchase. Would you spend the money if you could to obtain those yardages? I would just be more interested in the bullet they come up with. Right now I'm not aware of any muzzy bullets with a b.c. near .30

http://www.gunwerks.com/Products

Old 03-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gunwerks muzzy

I would not buy it or use it. To me that is not muzzleloading that is rifle hunting.Don't get me wrong i'm trying
to push some distance with mine but no where near that.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

That kind of rifle would not work for me. While it might be fun to own, it would have really no value other then target shooting. First off, where I hunt 50 yards is the average shot. I can do that with a roundball rifle.

Also, there comes a point where muzzleloader shooters and hunters have to send a message to some of these companies thatwe do not want a rifle like that. Those are the kind of rifles that people with different agendas then we have, and uninformed people with power (like politicians)are able to make changes to our sport that in the long run damage our sport.

If a person wants to shoot that far, use a center fire. If you want to get up close and personal then use a muzzleloader.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree 100% with Cayugad. That is one reason why I enjoy ML and archery hunting. I like being able to get up close and personal to the game. Sometimes its the stalk (if I am still hunting) that I enjoy and when I get close enough its over and I don't even shoot. Sort of like catch and release hunting. Of course there are times when I've seen a whopper and just never closed the deal because of range or cover. But that's the fun in it all.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

The longest shots I take are on the range at 250 yard gong. There is quite possibly places on the open plans or in the mountains where you might want maximum range. As long as I can hit the 6 inch gong at 250 yds the possibility of more range has no lure for me. With the exception of one place the average shot around here is 25 yds in the woods and in the fields if you can not get with in 250 yds then find an old hunter to teach you some things. Lee
Old 03-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Those long range shots they make are intriging but in my eye, unethical. Now I've watched the show and I saw them take pronghorn at 1000 yds a bighorn at 745 yds. And took them cleanly. Of course they only show the hits. Editing is a wonderful thing. At those distances, the animal doesn't know what's going on if you miss. He sees a puff of dust orwhatever. It may startle him but I don't think it will spook him.
It may be fun to shoot paper at those ranges or vermin like ground hogs or prairie dogs. But a game animal deserves more respect than that. At least in my eye.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't shoot that far with a CF let alone a ML. No I wouldn't buy one.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not my cup-o-tea. Don't have even a little desire for one.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

For that price think of how many other ones you can buy.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 AM
Fork Horn

That type of rifle is already available and being put to good use. It is the "Bad Bull" that is already doing it, it is a .45 and they recommend the Parker 275 Gr. I believe.

IMHO It is never good for any gun owner to bad mouth another's dream gun or any fire arm out there. We are one big group of gun owners and enjoyers! and just because your interest and current hunting condition might not warrant a current product. to bad mouth or to limit any, is a restriction on our right to bear arms, but I know you GFIs already know this.

This statement says it all limited thinking! Quote " That kind of rifle would not work for me. While it might be fun to own, it would have really no value other then target shooting. First off, where I hunt 50 yards is the average shot. I can do that with a roundball rifle. "

The rifle certainly would work for you, you just wouldn't have need for it's total potential. IMHO I believe any statement like the above is bad for all Gun owners period.

Quick Reply: Gunwerks muzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.