Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Dont be fooled by Hornady FTX bullets. >

Dont be fooled by Hornady FTX bullets.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Dont be fooled by Hornady FTX bullets.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dont be fooled by Hornady FTX bullets.

ORIGINAL: Semisane

A pointed bullet that does not expand is about the worst bullet there is. It's like shooting a field point arrow through an animal. It may die one day, but a long way from where you shot it.
+1

I'm don't shoot pointy bullets mainly because 95% of my shots are not over 75 yards. Heck at that range I could shoot a square bullet and be fineBUT, even if I had longer shots I hear too many stories about the "pencil" effect. To each his own of course.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TNHagies

+1

I'm don't shoot pointy bullets mainly because 95% of my shots are not over 75 yards. Heck at that range I could shoot a square bullet and be fineBUT, even if I had longer shots I hear too many stories about the "pencil" effect. To each his own of course.
I shot a hog with a Barnes T-EZ (pointy bullet) at55 yards. If it weren't for the blood I wouldn't have found the entrance hole and the exit hole was the size of a small fist. That spells out expansion under 75 yards with a pointy bullet to me.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Hey Grouse, which one of the FTX bullets were used? I suspect some of them are tougher than others.

I thinkLee may be on the right track with the Bushmaster bullet which is probably designed to operate at a little over 2000 fps muzzle velocity. I suspect the one designed for the 460 S&W would be the most appropriate for muzzle loader velocities, but a 200 grain .452 bullet is pretty short and fat and would probably be only a 100 yard bullet anyway. A regular old XTP is probably better.
I used the 250grn .452 bullet.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

2000fps at what distance? I have data at home where a 250grn SST slows down to 1500fps at 100yds when at the muzzle i think was 2200.I need to check that later.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good to start getting some reports in, which weight/caliber was it?

I'm going to pick either the 325gr or 265gr and try it for a year. I have a good baseline of experience with the SWs, so I'll figure out pretty quickly if I'm seeing lack of performance.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

I think they all exited. No recovered bullets. They reminded me of a Barnes original and those 195grn Barnes. A small hole in and out.
I agree with you on the Barnes Origonal 300g, shot them this year and they are too hard, the jacket is hard. Great however at long range, not close. I am going over to a Barnes 45843 300g looks like a MZ only .458 diameter, which shoots best in Savages.
Chap